What's new

Larry Sanders Show question - laugh track/audience? (1 Viewer)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I've never seen the show (don't get HBO) but plan on picking up the Season 1 set in February. Did this show use a laugh track? Was it filmed in front of a live audience? I assume it's the latter since it was a spoof of a late-night talk show, but I just want to know what to expect when the DVD set comes out.

Thanks.

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
I think the scenes where he was performing were filmed before an audience. A lot of the show is behind the scenes.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I don't know whether the "studio audience" for the show-within-a-show was real or fake, but it was the only laughter on the soundtrack. All others events, whether behind the scenes or in Larry's private life, were played straight.

M.

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
I first heard about Larry Sanders when I saw an interview with Gene Siskel. He said the show was excellent and had arranged to see a taping. That's why I thought it was taped before an audience.

I think it would have been easier to get a crowd reaction by taping a real audience.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I first heard about Larry Sanders when I saw an interview with Gene Siskel. He said the show was excellent and had arranged to see a taping. That's why I thought it was taped before an audience.
Could be. OTOH, maybe they just let him watch because he was Gene Siskel. :)
It might be hard to get a studio audience to react with the right timing and tone, especially since we never saw a complete "show". It was usually just a few excerpts. So even if they used a studio audience for some scenes, the laugh track might be necessary.
M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks