What's new

Larry Sanders Series 2 (1 Viewer)

Torquil

Agent
Anyone know when/if this is being released?

I have no idea how well this sold, but it did get pretty solid content reviews (unsurprising), despite being savaged visually (again unsurprising - but who cares).

Hank just kills me every time I re-watch this show. Definitely one of the top 3 comedies of the 1990's.

Torq.

John CW

Supporting Actor
I agree. GREAT show. What was wrong with the picture on the Season One set though? I haven't seen it yet but I plan on buying it. I own the old R2 "best of" disc. Does it compare with that?

~ John

Torquil

Agent
John - I think the R1 series 1 set is MARGINALLY better than the best of, picture quality wise - but I'm just comparing the episodes from the first season included on the best of. Of course the later series do look better.

I wonder if this might be one of the shows that gets released in R2 as box sets before R1 (as happened with R2 Friends).

Anyway - interesting tid-bit, this was one of Richard Curtis' (Blackadder/4 Weddings etc) favourite ever comedies - so at least we're in good company.

What makes it for me is the lack of laughter track - I hate being told where to laugh!

Torq.

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
You know, it has never even occurred to me that a company would put out season one of a series and not finish them all.
I guess in some ways, I'm still an innocent. :)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
No word on this yet, folks. Sorry! I would personally say: don't look for new on this (or All In The Family S2) until at least they get out Jeffersons S1 and Sanford & Son S1. I hope I'm wrong, but that's my thinking.

Kurt N

Stunt Coordinator
It bothers me to think that some shows will get the first season (or the first couple) and never be finished.

I pray that Larry Sanders will be finished. This is just such a great series.

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
The Larry Sanders Show is one of a handful of television programs in which I would easily buy every season, without hesitation. No hemming and hawing on the fence. Just SOLD!

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Kurt,

It's not like Columbia TriStar is releasing the first season of a hundred shows. They've started on a few series, but there hasn't been enough time passed that you can assume that they won't be finished.

Please remember that these are the first "adult" sets that CTS has released. They're playing a bit of catchup to get to the point as some of the other studios.

Gord

Kurt N

Stunt Coordinator
I wasn't really suggesting that this is one that won't be completed--merely stating that some shows probably will never be fully released.

Columbia's released only Sanders and All in the Family (as far as I know) and neither was greeted by great reviews or (I'd guess) great sales.

Torquil

Agent
OK - so how do we go about pushing CTS to continue the series: given the packaging and lack of extras, they can't be expensive to produce.

Torq.

John CW

Supporting Actor
We can only show the demand...

Even if it takes a while they should EVENTUALLY end up on DVD as DVD production gets cheaper and cheaper as time goes on.

BTW - Why was the disc not met with "great reviews"? LS is one of the most critically lauded shows around isn't it?

~ John

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Columbia's released only Sanders and All in the Family (as far as I know) and neither was greeted by great reviews or (I'd guess) great sales.
My review, which you can still read at TVShowsOnDVD, and Ron's review here on HTF were both quite complimentary and recommended the set highly. The only issue was the understandable deterioration of the video elements.

Gord posted at TVShowsOnDVD a complimentary review of Larry Sanders, as Ron did here.

I don't know what sales have been like, but then I don't know what sales have been for M*A*S*H or Twin Peaks, either!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks