What's new

Larry Sanders - Season One, reviews/opinions (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Because at 2 discs it would be $39.95 (or maybe even $29.95) SRP instead of $49.95
There's no reason to assume that. Price and number of discs frequently don't correlate. And as previously noted, DVD-9s are harder (and thus more expensive) to manufacture.

M.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
They may not exactly always correlate, but it's a hell of a lot easier to get away with charging 50 bucks for 3 discs than for 2. Also, there's enough DVD 9s & even DVD 18s out there selling for $15-$20 that it doesn't seem to influence pricing nearly as much as other factors.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Also, there's enough DVD 9s & even DVD 18s out there selling for $15-$20 that it doesn't seem to influence pricing nearly as much as other factors.
Which is why the Larry Sanders set would probably be priced the same even if it were 2 discs.

M.

Ned

Supporting Actor
Is anyone getting the occasional frame skip/jump? The first episode had maybe 1 but episode 2 I noticed at least 4 times.

It only happens during the *video* segments not the *film* segments so I doubt it's a problem with telecining.

My player is the rather old Toshiba 2109 but this is the first time I've seen the problem. The Simpsons set was fine though.

James Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Sex In The City discs also look MUCH better than these (I can't believe anybody finds them comparable).
SatC season one, episode one, looked much WORSE that this set... Season one, episodes 2+ were similar in quality, perhaprs a touch better. Season 2 is so superior there is no comparison. (but only season one was 16mm so it is only fair to compare season one... and bearing in mind that the elements are a good 7-8 years newer)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I'd rather save the money for All in the Family, (god help Columbia if that set comes out like this- do we even know if it offers the uncut episodes?) OZ, or season three of Sex and the City.
All in the Family will be uncut according to people I have spoken to at Columbia TriStar. They have a company policy that NOTHING gets cut. Unfortunately that wasn't the case the the recent "Jackie Chan Adventures" discs. I called Columbia TriStar and told them there was a minute missing from the start of the episodes and they were very, very upset. They're still looking into the problem.

As for the video quality of Larry Sanders...

I try and keep in mind the quality of the material when writing a review. Larry Sanders was shot on 16mm so it won't be as nice as something shot on 35mm. I compared it to season one of Sex and the City because it was also shot on 16mm. 16mm film will give you more grain but the amount of grain in the first season of S&TC was way too much. I believe another problem with the video on Larry Sanders could be mixing the video and film together. If the show was entirely film you'd get used to it but when you toss in clean video for the talkshow segments and then cut back to the film with the grain it's a lot more noticeable.

This is also Columbia TriStar's first venture into non-animated TV releases. Who knows what they will come out with down the road, but I hope they add some more extras to the sets.

Gord

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
I just watched them all on my laptop. Even on a smaller screen the picture quality isn't bad.

I am just happy to have Larry Sanders on DVD to watch whenever I want. Because the better Larry is, the better I am.

Bring on the rest of the seasons.

No flipping!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks