Largest TV that is usable for console gaming?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad_D, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Chad_D

Chad_D Auditioning

I did a quick search and wasn't able to locate a thread that would answer my question, but I'm sure it's been asked before.

What is the largest TV that I could use without the possibility of damage for console gaming. As I understand it, no rear-projection TV is completely safe from burn-in. Is this correct?

TIA,
    Chad

2. millercv

millercv Second Unit

If you are looking for HUGE LCD projectors are safe to use w/ console games.

3. Howie A

Howie A Second Unit

Sony makes a 40 inch Tube which I believe is
    the largest Tube T.V. made.

4. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

5. Chad_D

Chad_D Auditioning

First off - thanks for the replies.

Joel - What settings should be changed? Is there a resource online that details the necessary information?

Thanks,

Chad

6. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Chad, I do a lot of console gaming (especially RPGs), but I would like a huge TV for this, and for DVDs (particularly LOTR). The biggest consumer CRT TV (the least risk of burn-in) is indeed probably the 40" Sony XBR. Very pricey, about $2-3k? ($2999 @ local Circuit City B&M).

I did a lot of research on burn-in and TVs. I have decided that I am holding out on Plasma prices, as prices on plasmas are falling about 15-20% a year. The Enhanced Def (not HD) 42" Panasonic (admittedly not much bigger than the XBR, as it is a 16x9 TV) can be had for right now for about $3500-4000. 50" models from Pioneer and Panasonic run anywhere from $5500 - $11,000. There are no guarantees that plasmas are burn proof by any means, but an actual confirmed burn-in from someone seems to be very rare (only 1 known case over at AVS forum).

AVS forum has a very interesting sticky note on burn in on plasmas in their plasma forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=224419

Not that I have the money for a plasma at this point, but I am keeping an eye out. Just wanted to put in my input on this, as I did a lot of looking myself. Perhaps in another year or two, more people will experience burn-in, and I'll change my mind. But that's where I am at right now.

7. MattMB

MattMB Agent

wouldn't LCD RPTV and DLP RPTV be safe from burn in? I thought that was an issue with RPTV that use CRT projection systems?

8. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Dave: I'd skip plasma and look at DLP and/or Projectors instead. The viability of plasma doesn't justify the price, even if it DID fall another 30%.

Unless you REALLY need that space, leave plasma TVs for the hollywood stars with money to burn.

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Why not get a FP TV?

10. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Not enough space for it, too many windows in the living room, I'm a renter/college student, no interest in a screen and dark room to play games...I'm after a good gaming TV. The home theater setup will be in my g/f's hands (with some helpful guidance from me) down the road someday, she is the real movie watcher. Waiting for the price/performance/size ration on the plasmas to drop just a little...or me to make more money [​IMG]

11. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Burn-in is never as much of an issue as is the level of responsibility of the user. If someone is irresponsible enough to allow burn-in, they are irresponsible enough to ruin a tv in another way as well.

There's no such thing as "foolproof", because there is always a better fool. [​IMG]

-Dave

12. Anthony.Lin

Anthony.Lin Stunt Coordinator

Burn-in really isn't an issue for me. I bought an ISF-Calibrated Tosh TW40X81 (Toshiba 40" HDTV widescreen RPTV), and I play dead or alive 3 for hours at a time without a hint of burn-in. I do try to mix things up, however, and I rotate games every once in a while, or watch a movie after a 3 hour session, but once again I've never noticed any burn-in.

If you purchase an RPTV, just turn the contrast down (maybe per-Avia or VE standards) and you should be fine. Getting the ISF calibration would help other things, like improve color and (with regards to burn-in) keep the contrast level the same across all corners and the middle, so after an ISF calibration you should be able to turn down the contrast even further and enjoy optimal contrast/color. Also you might want to consider taking off the protective layer, as that was one of the main reasons I left contrast at above-average levels because during the daytime at bright places I could see my reflection more than the TV.

Simply put, if you don't leave the game on pause overnight and you don't leave contrast at 100% don't worry about burn-in.

13. Bob Hill

Bob Hill Stunt Coordinator

You don't know what you are missing playing games on a 9' screen [​IMG]

14. David Broome

David Broome Stunt Coordinator

I agree. I had a bunch of freinds over for Halo, and they were complaining because their 1/4 of the screen in split screen was bigger than their whole TV back home :)

15. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

16. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

That's nothing compared to Atari 2600 Space Invaders on a big screen with a subwoofer! [​IMG]

17. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

I use a 100" DLP projector screen.

Rogue Leader cannot look any better, I think.

18. Mark Giles

Mark Giles Second Unit

Bob, 4 of us played Mario Kart 64 on a 9in Tube in the kitchen. What's that, about 4.5in screens x4? It was fun for the first 15 min til I found out I following the wrong guy. It's all a blur...