What's new

largest screen size?? (1 Viewer)

Armand B

Auditioning
What is the largest screen size That i should look at?? Due to the room being small I sit Between 5' to 6' away
thanks for the help in advance
Armand

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
Armand, my guess is that a front projector is out of the question due to the fact that it will put out a large image, but maybe TOO large considering that you're 5 - 6 feet away. I'm not sure what your budget is but a nice 40" 16:9 format set such as the Toshiba would do nicely. Hopefully you'll get some more ideas from others in this forum.
------------------
My Home Theater

JohnHN

Stunt Coordinator
To avoid being flamed, let me start by stating the obvious: choose the size that you like best.
That out of the way, there is a generally agreed upon rule, called the critical vieweing distance (CVD), that gives the MAXIMUM distance to sit. The CVD is a function of screen height and resolution, which depends on the source.
http://www.theperfectvision.com/howto/howto_tech_4.htm
Where people start to disagree is how much closer than the CVD one should sit, with opinions ranging from 100% (full CVD) to less than 50%.
Personally, I like a multiplier of about 4x for progressive DVD; that's around 56% of the CVD for standard NTSC. I find sitting much closer than that fun but wearing after a while. At 6 feet, 4x gives a screen height of 18" which suggests that you might just be able to manage a 32" 4:3 set (19") or Toshiba's 40" 16:9 (20"). Others may favor a much bigger set. Tastes differ, which is why you should go to a store (or a friend's house) with a tape measure and see for yourself.
------------------

Jim Kirkman

Agent
It's a matter of personal taste. Try looking at a variety of sizes at your viewing distance and see what you like. Also, the quality of the signal being viewed can have an affect on this. Keep in mind what types of signals you most watch when deciding on a size. In the end, you may have to come up with a good compromise.
At my viewing distance of 6-7ft., I found the Tosh 40" 16x9 set to be the best size for me viewing mostly progressive scan DVD.
Jim

Armand B

Auditioning
Thabnks alot for the info. I have been looking at the 40 inch tosh 16:9.. actually very highly looking at that one. But i am just not sure exactly yet.. I will have to measure my area and see if the tosh will fit ;-) also the only thing That kinda worries about projection tv is possible burnin from ps2.. I don't play alot nor do i generally pause games but still i believe there might be an issue?
my viewing pleasure is about 90%dvd (right now not prgrwessive scan) and maybe 10-15% vhs no cable being passed in at this point..
I would like to keep the price less than 2k which puts the toshiba in range.. any other 16:9 set that would fall into play here?
thanks alot in advance for the info
ARmand

Armand B

Auditioning
Does toshiba have a new 40 coming out later in the year or is the 40h8 this years new model?? Also after measuring I think the mitsubishi might be too big .. although i cannot seem to find any dimensions on the mitsubishi site.
Also are there any others that i should put into my consideration at least to take a look at??
thanks in advance.
Armand

JohnHN

Stunt Coordinator
Toshiba's 40" set is the only 16:9 RPTV that is smaller than the Mits 46". One problem with the Mits for small rooms is that it is very deep, 28". In contrast, the Toshiba is 18". And the Panasonic 47", to be released soon, will be a relatively manageable 24.6" deep (at least this is what I wrote down; no idea where I got it). One physical problem with the Toshiba is that its top is too narrow to support many center channel speakers. There are workarounds for this but it is, at a minimum, inconvenient.
There is a plausible rumor that Toshiba will ship its 2002 models sometime after August, and there is a more iffy rumor that Toshiba will offer a 16:9 set in the 45-50" range, where currently Toshiba has a hole. A fairly safe bet is that the new sets will have a line doubler with film mode; indeed, there are a number of threads more or less confirming that even the current model run has this feature, provided the set was manufactured this year, rather than last, and provided that DNR is engaged (?!).
There are threads at Home Theater Spot on the 2002 Mits line; the bottom line is disappointment. The main gripe is that Mitsubishi is (a) deliberately miscalibrating their sets (the infamous red push) and (b) going to great lengths to lock people out of the service menus to prevent correction. And there is no indication of any improvement in Mit's less than satisfactory line doubler. As far as I'm concerned, Mitsubishi appears to be dropping the ball.
There are direct view 16:9's at 40" or less (from Panasonic, Sampo, Sony, and others), but these tend to be expensive (even the Sampo). And there is plasma etc. but these are even more expensive.
Finally, for 4:3 sets there is, of course, lots of choice.

David Tallen

Stunt Coordinator
Have you ever heard of anyone complaining about have too large of a screen? I suppose it can happen, but I've never seen such a comment in the Home Theater Forum. I was worried when I bought a 36 inch direct view 4:3 set, because I only sit seven or eight feet away. I could have gone larger, but the 36 incher is OK.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Make mockup screens of varying sizes by taping together pieces of white paper, and see how they look in your living room. Make both 4:3 and 16:9 shapes. Be sure to hang them out from the wall, say 20 to 30 inches away since the TV you eventually bring home will have a cabinet with that much depth. Take along to the store a 16:9 and a 4:3 pattern to help select the size TV you want.
Much of the time I sit 6 to 8 feet from a 38 inch 4:3 or 48 inch 16:9 picture. (The set is a 16:9 model)
More video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Armand B

Auditioning
well after a little measuring.. I have come to the decision that the largest i could possibly go is a 40inch set.. well atleast on the size of the 40h80 due to its depth.. i wish the width was just a bit less but i will take that width ;-).. next problem would be trying to find a place for my receiver and stuff cause i read somewhere that the toshiba only has 1 shelf?? even with the stand? by the sound if i went looking for a direct view widescreen it would cost me a ton more money... although i did see a place that had the sampo 34inch ws for 2500 but it is more than i want to spend right now.. I am still going to be waiting a couple months to see how much more the prices will drop and what new ones might be comeing out..
thanks for all the info
Armand

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks