larger tv, or projector

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jeremy Swenson, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Jeremy Swenson

Jeremy Swenson Stunt Coordinator

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/swenjj...95.jpg&.src=ph

i am trying to decide what to buy, i want a little larger screen than my 50 inch, but with the room not being too large it cant be crazy, i figure if i get a projector it would add a few feet to the seating distance, but check that picture out, i have a sort of step out in the corner so the screen would almost butt right up against it, do you think that would make for any problems? there would not be any shadows from it because there are no windows, and lights would be off, but i have never had a projector before so i dont know,,

i have been looking at tv's around 3000 to 3500, how would a projector around the same price compare quality wise, that epson 200 seems cheap enough, on the net its something like 2200, then i would need a screen though,

any thoughts on proj/tv comparisons or how a screen would work on that wall, the wall there is wider than it looks, for somereason the camera made the tv look large compared to the wall, cause it is in front , i believe the wall is something like 12 feet across, just guessing, i could measure the wall and the part sticking out this afternoon if it would help

not sure why that part is there, maybe its a support for the house or something

2. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Jeremy, look at the thread for the last 30 days and you should find plent of information regarding which projector may suit your needs. An overwhelming favourate is the Panasonic 700U. I actually saw a demo of this projector just yesterday and I was v-e-r-y impressed!

About the step in your wall, I've seen many guys paint the rear wall black and hang their screens...it gives you that floating look. So, you can always hang your screen so that it's in front or lines up with the step.

3. John S

John S Producer

Projos provide the greatest flexability on screen size and placement, hands down. I am sure any such issues could eaisly be over come.

4. Jeremy Swenson

thanks for the panny suggestion, looking at reviews it looks good, but i have never looked into FP much, do i buy a screen to fit the wall then the projector adjusts to fit the screen size or do i need to know exactly how far away it will be then buy a certain screen size?

5. John S

John S Producer

Unless a screen is included in the deal. I'd get the projo and just project it on the wall and decide screen size and placement based on your findings.

6. Jeremy Swenson

good idea, i have been planning on one of the new jvc tv's but it would be cool to clear out my room and put the audio/video stuff in the back closet, so the room looks nice and neat and more like a theater, though it might be odd to have the xbox behind me, i suppose i could get used to it

for putting up an on wall screen is that something to have done professionally, and the projector mount? it seems like it would have to be a ceiling mount, is that expensive?

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    My last setup was ceiling mounted which I did myself. How high is the ceiling. Measure the width of the front wall also and post back here. Also, the depth of the room would help too. I would not let the step in the wall limit the width of a screen in that room.

8. Jeremy Swenson

i'll be able to measure the room around 4:00 central time, the room used to be a bedroom so it also has a closet in the back, that sticks out, makes it hard to place the projector i think, depending on how far away it needs to be, i see on a review that someone said it should be shelf mounted, im not sure if that would work at my place, i suppose nothing to do except measure it out and hope for the best,
    of course this will only happen if my brother can come up with 1300 for my 50 inch lcd, , i suppose i could order the projector now, and if i can sell my tv use that to have it all installed, ok i am rambling, i'll post some measurements later[​IMG]

9. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

No, you just have the OPTION to shelf-mount with the 700. Those of us with earlier models like the 300U cannot shelf mount because it may rsult in the projector overheating. I took mine down and it is now on a tripod, I plan to have a guy come in to help me get it ceiling mounted so that it lines up perfectly (you can do this on your own if you have patience).

10. Jeremy Swenson

ok, measurements, room is not as wide as i thought, so a screen to fit in the recessed area would be about 70 inches diagonal to look centered, pulled out 8 inches then it wouldnt matter,
    room is 9'9" wide, 17'1" long, the part sticking out on the screen side is 8 inches by 28 inches, the back wall has a closet 29" by 7', so the length from the back closet to the screen wall is just over 14.5 feet so a ceiling mount would be around 13.5 feet or so from the wall,just under 13 feet if the screen was even with the part sticking out, viewing range is 10 from my tv, maybe 12 from the wall if i put a screen up, or around 11.5 feet from the sticking out part, ceiling is the regular 8 feet

depending on the projector setup it could work pretty well i think, i could get a 60 inch or so tv, thats not so much smaller than a 76 or so inch screen i could get,
    actually 16 inches is pretty big, and it would look so nice

that sticking out area is in the pic i posted in my first post of this thread, so if you can understand my measurements, could a projector work easy?

11. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Jeremy, I can't get your pics to load, I just see a X.

My HT room is nearly the same size as yours, it measures 16'x9'. I have an older Panny 200u which is ceiling mounted. My screen is 85" diagonal and sits roughly 15" forward of the front wall. I have 2 rows of seating as well. You need to go with a PJ, not a TV.

I got a few pics up on my site of my recently constructed screen wall and a few pics of the theater, just click on the link below.

12. Jeremy Swenson

it worked for me, oh well,

that is a pretty cool garage theater, my garage is not attached,so thats out, but my house is half underground,and the theater room is in back with no windows, pitch black, i just have to look into the prices to mount the projector, if i buy a ceiling mount is it hard to put up? i have an attic,so i can get up there, but i am not to carpentry inclined, maybe i could have my uncle do it,

is there any certain place online to get the best deals on this projector? tvauthority has it for 2199 i think, not sure if the 200 dollar rebate comes off of that

i am not going to do theater seating, at least for now, just a love seat for me and the wife, and a chair if someone else is there, so that isnt a factor right now, maybe in the future though

13. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

I bought my panny from www.visualapex.com, they have great customer service and will anser all your questions.

14. Jeremy Swenson

that sanyo z3 is only 1800 there, is that a decent one? well, i suppose i'll search the forums, though it seems the panny has no SDE which is nice