What's new

Large vs Small, Reference Level on Sub (1 Viewer)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
The LFE channel can go up to 120 Hz in theory, but typically has no content above 80 Hz. But if you set your crossover over to say 50 Hz for HT, the content in the LFE channel from 50-80 Hz is filtered out and not redirected anywhere - it's just lost.
This summerize many pre/pro/receivers but not all.The Outlaw,and the Lexicon models don't "suffer" from this problem,I'm sure there are other models too.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
That's why I prefaced that statement with "unless your pre-pro has separate crossover points for each channel". I know the TOTL Sony ES AVRs also have this capability, and I believe the B&K pre/pro's and AVRs do too.

Question: Does it strike you as defeating the purpose to leave the LFE channel low passed at 80 Hz, and then high passing all your other speakers at a much lower frequency, say 50 Hz?

Is one of the reasons enthusiasts elect to high pass the speakers at 60, 50, or even 40 Hz because they are worried about being able to localize the subwoofer?

Maybe that theory has some merit for critical music listening (and even that is debatable), but for HT I don't see the point in using a lower crossover frequency than 80 Hz for the speakers (even if you could without affecting the LFE channel), since the LFE channel goes at least that high anyway.

David Sailor

Agent
Edward,

Interestingly, my conversation with Erik at SVS the other day touched on the subject of localing bass frequencies. He said that it shouldn't be possible at the 80 or even the 100 Hertz range. Although there are those that say they can localize frequencies below 80. This was all focusing around the Adcom fixed 100 crossover. I don't want to stray from the topic of the thread but I'm now leaning to the Rotel 1066 which is adjustable in 20 Hz increments from 40 to 120 and each channel is independantly adjustable. David

Zack_R

Stunt Coordinator
but for HT I don't see the point in using a lower crossover frequency than 80 Hz for the speakers (even if you could without affecting the LFE channel)
Well I use a 70 Hz crossover because I get a slightly better response versus the 80Hz point. It would be tough for me to tell the difference in a blind audio test but since I can quantify it through test tones I leave it there.

Depending on your room acoustics, experimenting with the crossover could help level out a peak. In my case, lowering the crossover to 70 Hz reduced a small (approx. 2db) dip in the 75-85 Hz range.

I can go down to a 50 Hz crossover point and have a very similar looking graph versus the 70 Hz crossover point when plotting 1/12 octave tones. But when listening to music, the 15" woofs in my front speakers can't hold a candle to the sound of the CSU. They just can't multi-task the bass frequencies in the same manner the Ultra can.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Maybe that theory has some merit for critical music listening (and even that is debatable), but for HT I don't see the point in using a lower crossover frequency than 80 Hz for the speakers (even if you could without affecting the LFE channel), since the LFE channel goes at least that high anyway.
Well it's probably work for most people,but I wouldn't say in all cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks