What's new

large tv for room w/lots of windows (1 Viewer)

Steven CJ

Auditioning
I am looking for large screen tv 60in + for a large great room. One wall is all windows and I looking for tvs that would be the least reflective.

I have looked at both the sony and hitachi models and am unsure which is better. One person recomended a tv without the protective plastic screen over the tv screen but the higher end tvs have these screens.

do I want a tv without this plastic screen? Is the top end diretors series less reflective? In the store the tvs arre in dark rooms so there is no way to test them in natural light.

Any guidance or suggestions would be most helpful

Chad B

Stunt Coordinator
Mitsubishi RPTVs have the most easily removable glare screen. The new Mits DLP was favorably reviewed in the latest The Perfect Vision magazine, and if you check out the end of the calibration notes he mentions removing the protective screen. I haven't seen the new Mits DLPs yet, but I will be calibrating one on Thursday.
As for the Sony and Hitachis, I've calibrated several dozen Sonys and quite a few Hitachis, and the Sonys are slightly technically superior. I don't think the difference is really dramatic, though. The ways the Hitachi is not quite as good is in resolution and color decoding. After calibration those aspects of the picture are not quite perfect, but the error is small. And yes, I did calibrate the color decoding/management. I've done both the regular and Director series Hitachis, and did not notice any performance difference I could definately attribute to the series. One thing may be a possibility, though- I noticed an unusually large amount of chromatic aberration on one of the non Director units, so there's a chance manufacturing tolerances might be tighter for the Director series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation239
Recent bookmarks