1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Large sub amp for ht use

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Matthew, Jul 4, 2002.

1. Stephen Matthew

Stephen Matthew Stunt Coordinator

Planning on doing a full blown monster ht sub but i really dont know what is decent for amplifiers.. looking for something as large as possible, doesnt have to have any great name, as cheap as possible, just needs to be powerful and cheap.. audiofile nameplates do not matter... just wanting to feel the bass drum making my intestines shake.. will be doing a gigantic enclosure for a cerwin vega stroker 15 and will need something to do peak power at 4 ohms.. so long as it is under 4kw i should be fine [​IMG] ... also, something that can be bought cheap online, or something readily available used would be nice..on a budget..
    thanks for your help

2. AlexKunec

AlexKunec Stunt Coordinator

Go to ebay, look for a used professional power amp. w/$ ratio is unbeatable. look for names like samson, QSC, crown...

3. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

First, I think you should consider other drivers and applications... you may want to go to the DIY forum to ask about that. (Perhaps an Adire "Uber-15".)

Alex hit it on the head. The amps most of the HTF folk seem to be using are the QSC RMX amps ($300 for 800w, $400 for 1400w, $600 for 2400w), Crown CE series and Samson S amps. The latter two are more expensive but don't have as much fan noise. Any of them would be great for a monster subwoofer.

4. Stephen Matthew

Stephen Matthew Stunt Coordinator

thanks, yeah id heard of qsc, but have no experience with them.. as for the sub, the stroker will likely be used in an infinite baffle app or at worst, in a huge enclosure, in which case it will more than take adire's offerings, though i have looked into them carefully.. since i am not limiting myself on power or airspace the stroker will have an edge, though in nearly any other app i would quickly jump on a tempest. i found a few amps i am interested in, in particular this one
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ADME:B:ON:US:1
    im sure that price will rise, but im not sure how much.. is this a decent amp??
    thanks!