Large space HT

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ScottieK, Sep 8, 2005.

1. ScottieK

ScottieK Auditioning

Hey guys...my wife and I are in the process of buying a house that is in need of a total rehab. One of the many things that really attracted me to the property is a HUGE space upstairs that is just screaming for a home theater.

The space is 24x28 with 11 foot tin ceilings. There's a woodstove upstairs in the spot I'd ideally put a screen, but rather than move the woodstove, I'm just going to try to design the space around it.

My questions are these:

A) is there such a thing as a space that is "too big"?
    B) Do you know of anywhere I could look to get some design layout ideas? We're having the hardest time including a bar, the pool table, AND the theater.

Our dream layout includes a projector (probably ceiling mounted) onto a large screen...we're just having the darndest time figuring out how to lay it all out.

Suggestions are appreciated!

2. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

Can you post a link to a floorplan? (Even something rough)

And some questions-

How many seats would you like?
    Is movie watching going to be the only use of the theater, or are you going to watch football games and the like in it as well?
    How big of a bar?
    How big of a pool table, and how much do you plan to use it?
    Do you want a fixed screen, or a motorized one?

Most HT's are pretty custom to the space, so there are not "general" floorplans available. You may want to check out the gallery for some ideas from other members.

3. ScottieK

ScottieK Auditioning

Yeah I've browsed the gallery from time to time...

The bar isn't going to be huge...we figure about 9 feet long at most. I'm not sure about the pool table dimensions. I haven't gotten in to measure yet. (That's the one thing I haven't done yet in there!) It's not a full sized table, I know that much.

We're going to use it primarily for movies, with a regular TV for normal viewing stuff...and ideally I'd go with a fixed screen.

Thanks for the input!