Large/Small Setting Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Stone, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Okay...I was under the impression that with floorstanding speakers, they should be set to Large. Now I'm reading everywhere that you should always set your speakers to Small....why is this? ...To give all the bass to the sub? I've tried both ways with my new Axiom M40...and I actually prefer it when they are set to large.

2. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Matt, it would depend on your sub. When you run full range speakers and set them to large and are using a sub at the same time, you risk cancellation problems. If you got a good sub, then you'd be better off running your mains as small so all the bass is handled by the sub, thus eliminating cancellation.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Matt,
    I usually find that unless a speaker has a dedicated powered sub, is NOT able to reproduce "full range" sounds as found in Dolby Digital/DTS programming.
    With a receiver or small HT amp, you simply do not have the amplifier ability to push full range signal if it includes a healthy dose of sub 40hz bass. Often the extra amp juice needed to push low bass negatively effects the upper mid clarity of a "full range" speaker (which is one of the main reason people seem to get very positive results from passive biamping).
    But, if you prefer the sound-- by all means, use it the way it sounds best to you. Just understand you are likely missing out on some low freq info that your mains cannot properly resolve.
    Also, the added tax of pushing ref level low bass info is a serious one in terms of amplifier-- so this will likely effect how your speaker is able to resolve high freq information.
    There are also phase issue that come into play from having multiple sources of bass (although similar phase issues also come into play having multiple sources of mid and high too, but...)
    You could always read the discussion from the last time this came up:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=55174
    -V

4. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Okay...I guess part of the problem is that I have a small sub (An Energy e:XL S8). I'll try running the speakers on small and see if they grow on me. Thanx for the info...

5. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

Ahh, a related topic... My receiver (Yamaha 495) has the large/small option for mains and surrounds, then asks 'later' (two more pushes of the setup button) if I want bass directed to mains/sub/both ? I'm a bit confused by this, as the two options seem to be asking the same question.

Secondly, my receiver doesn't allow leveling of the front soundstage. I can adjust the levels of the surrounds, but L/Center/R are locked down. Is there way to get around this?

6. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Dave, if you have set your mains to large, then you can redirect the bass from the others to the mains, sub, or both. It also specifies where the LFE is going. If you set your mains to small, you'd want to set this to sub. Unfortunately I've found my RX-V1 manual to be exceptionally vague, as I guess your's is too. It doesn't tell me anything about this, so I can only go off what I think would be logical. I haven't tried, but I'm wondering if you choose small for the mains if it affects what's available for this setting.