Large...really large box for sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RayJK, Nov 25, 2002.

1. RayJK

RayJK Stunt Coordinator

Gentlemen, long time lurker(years) but first time poster. I've come to the experts to help with this idea I have.

I have a small storage space under the stairs of my HT room. The half door to access it is located 5' from the right front corner of the room facing across the width. The total volume of this space is 49 cubic feet (42"x48'x42"). I was thinking of building a box inside the space that would be screwed right into the current studs. The floor is vinyl over cement so I would imagine that is stiff enough. I have some 1" marine plywood that I build the box with. Budget is $2000 with an amp, maybe $2500 if that is the only way to go.

The questions I have are as follows:
    1)Is this a practical idea? I can fit 4 15" drivers in the opening if needed or 5 12" or 2 18" or a combination.
    2)Would I need to cross brace this seeing that it is screwed into the framing of the house?
    3)Any suggestions for drivers and power required?
    4)Is this a large enough space to consider an IB setup?

Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

2. 1)Is this a practical idea? I can fit 4 15" drivers in the opening if needed or 5 12" or 2 18" or a combination.
    Absolutely [​IMG] I have seen a few people do this. However, the location of this may not be idea. How low are you XOing and what is the location relative to the other speakers?
    2)Would I need to cross brace this seeing that it is screwed into the framing of the house?
    You may want to do some x-bracing...I would atleast using some 2x2's
    3)Any suggestions for drivers and power required?
    with your budget, I would get a pair of tumults each powered with an HS500 [​IMG] This should tear the plaster down in the house [​IMG]
    4)Is this a large enough space to consider an IB setup?
    An IB is usually when the Vb=about 10x vas. ..sometime 5 is taken as the min Vb.

3. RayJK

RayJK Stunt Coordinator

Anthony, I plan on an Xo of 40-60 hz. The location is 24" in front of the right front speaker. This speaker is 3' from the wall where the storage space is.

4. Aaron_Smith

Aaron_Smith Stunt Coordinator

In my opinion, heavy bracing and damping would be important if your house walls are going to comprise one or more of the walls of the enclosure. The walls themselves usually act as a bass trap because their resonant frequency is in the range of the audio signal that the subs create. Bracing will couple the walls to other structures and create smaller vibrating sections; adding mass to the walls (i.e. an extra layer of sheetrock) will lower their resonant frequency.
    It's tough to say whether any of this would be a benefit or a disadvantage for sound reproduction-- most likely a disadvantage. If it were me, I would consider building a speaker box that fits nicely within that space and isolating it from the wall.

5. RayJK

RayJK Stunt Coordinator

I've decided to go with a Maelstorm in a 690L vented box tuned to 14hz. With 5.5db of boost at 20hz I should have a -3db point of 14.5hz. Coupled with a 750 watt amp I have I think this should take care of my sub needs for the HT. God knows what the room is going to do to the response curve but it looks good on paper!

6. Keith Martin

Keith Martin Auditioning

Before committing to such a permanent fixture I'd recommend placing a temporary sub in the room and measuring the response. It may save you from a lot of agony afterwards if the performance is sub-par.

7. RayJK

RayJK Stunt Coordinator

I agree. I should close this thread because the box has changed and I can't find any drivers that would work well with the idea I had. I emptied out the small room and found it was 7' deep and not 4 like I thought. My volume went from 1350L which was manageable to 2400L which is not. If anyone knows where I can get a Fane Colossus 24" or one of the Tekton 21" models drop me a line!