Large order of DIY cables

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil_S, Mar 2, 2001.

1. Neil_S

Neil_S Stunt Coordinator

I have a thought... (Yes it took some effort and I still have a headache).
    I'm planning on making some speaker cable and interconnects using Belden 1694A. I have a friend who would like to do the same and noticed that you get quite a bit of a price break buying entire spools (500' or more).
    I'm thinking of 100' feet for myself (considering you have to use twice as much for speaker cables). My friend is looking at 200'.
    That is just 200' short of the 500' spool. Anyone else interested? I could buy the spool and then send the other 200' to whoever is interested. You could use Paypal or just send a check for your portion...
    Just a thought! I can look at pricing to see what we would save if anyone is interested.
    Neil

2. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

Why not the 1506A? You can get from Radio Shack..

3. Neil_S

Neil_S Stunt Coordinator

4. Ellen

Ellen Stunt Coordinator

Ellen
    I can see using 1694A for interconnects. But why use it for speaker cables? I've got a sample here and it seems incredibly stiff for that purpose.

5. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

Neil
    Will you be "cross-linking" the 1694 when making speaker cables? If you do, more likely they will act like a bigger gauge wire.
    From the reading Jon Risch's www site, capacitance of most coax cables (89259, 1505A, 1506A 88232, etc) are pretty low from Belden and I don't think the bigger gauge would help for interconnects.
    For analog interconnects, are you planning to do a "twisted pair"?
    I just finished all my cables analog, digital, and component. I might do some speakers cables cross-linked.
    Julian