Large Marge was in CT last night...MAJOR truck accident

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MarkHastings, Mar 26, 2004.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

"I SAW THE WORST ACCIDENT I'VE EVER SEEN!"

http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=1739602

12,000 gallons of fuel oil ignighted and melted the bridge! It's gong to take 3 Million dollars and about 2 weeks to fix [​IMG]

They say some woman cut the truck driver off and he crashed [​IMG]

I travel I-95 every day and I'm not looking forward to the next month [​IMG] - At least today wasn't too bad on the alternate routes, but I guess a lot of people are avoiding the roadways.

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I just saw that on TV and I had to blink my eyes! I'd think twice about riding over that thing, even after it is rebuilt.

Glenn

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    From what I read, supposedly they're just going to fill in the underpass and pave over it rather than rebuilding/fixing the bridge. So it should just be a roadway on solid ground.

4. MarkHastings

[​IMG] The sad part is, this is a section of roadway that they've been working on for years! That area was finally coming along and now this.

They said that they finally turned off the trucks engine, 2 hours after the accident because everyone was too afraid to even go near it.

Amazingly enough, no one died and the driver's not in life-threatening condition.

If this had ever happened during rush hour, this would be absolutely horrific.

5. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Something very much like this happened just north of Baltimore Maryland a few months ago, and it was.[​IMG]

7. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

I used to live in Greenwich, CT and our bridges did fall down for no apparent reason. We were only about 30 miles from where this incident took place. Remember the Mianus River Bridge? My girlfriend took me home that night and then went home herself about 20 minutes before the thing dropped.

8. MarkHastings

9. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

Obligatory: There's a bridge in Mianus.

10. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan

You're not kiddin Mark; rumor has it traffic will be rerouted through Newtown to 84, through Danbury, i.e. making my commute oh so much more fun.

Bryan

11. John Nelson

John Nelson Stunt Coordinator

Supposedly, the overpass steel sagged so much that it almost touched the ground beneath the overpass, and, as firemen cooled it down with their hoses, the steel contracted again and the overpass rose back up to it's current position. Glad I'm not planning on going to New York anytime soon...

12. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

So what's the word, is this good or bad for the CT State Speed Trap Assoc? [​IMG]

13. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I'm originally from that area and I know my brothers will be having a rough time in their travels during this time. Before my parents moved to their current house in the early 1960s, I didn't live too far from the scene of this accident.

Crawdaddy

14. Ric Bagoly

Ric Bagoly Producer

Just another good reason to HATE living in this state...[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Coming back from a Kayak show in Somerset, NJ, saw a lot of truckers going up I-287 in NJ... Really, if you're going to NE, like boston and points north, you're better off getting off the NJT portion of I-95 at 287, going north to the NY Thruway north towards Albany (I-87) and picking up I-84 in Newburgh to the MassPike and go around that whole mess...

Jay

16. MarkHastings

Well, considering all of the 'alternate' routes were parking lots, I tried my luck on I-95 last night.

I got stuck in traffic about 2 miles before the bridge (exit 22). They were rounting people off exit 25 and taking back roads until they got on at exit 30.

It took me and hour and a half from the time I hit traffic until I got back on the highway.

It was insane! The backroads were unreal. It was like some sort of disaster area with cops on every corner (directing traffic), news reporters on the street, TONS of helicopters overhead, and businesses were out selling stuff [​IMG] One woman was out in front of her store selling soda for $2 [​IMG]