Large HT Room

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Wolters, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

My HT room is 42'x15'. Is this considered large for a home theater room? If so, what might I need beyond the standard...one AV receiver, one subwoofer and 5 speakers for 5.1? Any thoughts on a room this size? Presently I have a pretty modest setup.
    My system... Receiver, Kenwood VR507
    Fronts, Pioneer 3 way floor speakers CS-R580
    Center Pioneer S-HO52C-K
    Pioneer surrounds...unsure of model...cheapies
    Paradigm PDR 10 sub
    Knowing my room size and this...What should I focus on upgrading. By the way my Budget is.....MWC (Married With Children)
    [​IMG]

2. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

Well, depending on how much power thsoe Pioneer speakers can take, and their sound quality, you will have to decide if you want more power to fill your big room, or better sounding speakers. I think Klipsch speakers have a very high sensitivity, 95db/w and higher. So you will be able to loud sound without that much power. For true optimun performance, you owuld want a 7.1 setup, but I assume that is not in your budget, a powerful reciever, and good speakers are instore, just which do you want first. Don't hesitate to jsut buy a good pair of fronts for now, you can piece it together, since you have the basics inline already. I would suggest a pair of good Klipsch tower speakers, $400-$1000, or more, or less as a first step, then work your way to a Klipsch center and surrounds. Then a good receiver, Onkyo 696 or 797 or Denon 2802. Then a good sub, since your room is huge. My HT room opens up into the dining room, so I know how you feel, if you need any more help, e-mail me.

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

My opinion -

Are you happy with the sub? Does it move anything in the room at it's loudest wife-and-kids-out-of-the-house level? Big rooms need big bass. Get a good high output sub like an SV. I had a 10 inch powered box and it was weakish in my 11 x 28 room. I can't imagine that you are thrilled with yours.

Actually, maybe you are. I'd be sure to run all the speakers small, though, and let Mr. Sub do the heavy lifting. If you have an adjustable xover on your rec, set it for 80 if you can, unless it already is. No cost, and see what you think.

Calibrate, if you can, with a meter. Very important.

Have fun

- CM

4. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

My room is 4500cu.ft. I guestimate (using 8' ceiling) you are around 5000+cu.ft. Definitely a big room.
    I am using some older Klipsch speakers that do the job very well. They have a very clear, detailed and spacious sound. Some people will say bright, I say detailed. [​IMG]
    I suggest that if you go the "mains" route you take a test listen before purchasing. Lots of good speakers out there.
    I also use the Outlaw 1050 receiver. I paid $600.00 but I think it's down to $500.00 now. A very clean 65w p/channel. Denon and Marantz are also top notch if this is what you choose to get. All 3 brands have the ability to add a separate amp when the time comes.
    But, I must say that the biggest impact I made with the large room that I have are my SVS 25-31CS subs. Good grief! The amount of clean non-boomy bass these "little" guys put out is just amazing. My definition of bass has been changed forever. For your room you might want dual 20-39's or larger.
    Just my $.09 [​IMG]

5. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

>>For your room you might want dual 20-39's or larger.

6. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

Hmmm...I was thinking more displacement but now I'm not sure. I know my 31's sure do fill the house! [​IMG]

7. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

8. Bill Bradstreet

Bill Bradstreet Stunt Coordinator

How about cutting the room in half? Do you really need the room to be that long?

If you use the 1.85 multiplier formula you end up with a 28-foot length.

That would give you a room 14x15. Can you find a use for this? You could throw a TV in that room for the kids to use instead of the living room for a thought.

As far as speakers go, I am planning on going with Klipsch Reference Series. I like their sound for movies. As a prior poster mentioned they are very sensitive.