What's new

Large Chains Breakign Street Date?? (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Have you heard of Wal-Mart being fined for breaking a street date? It seems like they would be "above the law", given the incredible volume of sales they do.
I thought about (and even started) writing something to that effect, but decided my post had gone on long enough. ;)

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
I have a one store in NYC that is excellent for breaking street date. I usually hit em every other Sunday when I'm in NYC and have picked up some releases as much as 3 weeks ahead of time. This past Sunday I snagged "The Lion King" :D :D

Joe

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you heard of Wal-Mart being fined for breaking a street date? It seems like they would be "above the law", given the incredible volume of sales they do.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, they have. Last year when my birthday rolled around, the store in my town had the 2-disc SE of A Hard Day's Night on the shelves in droves a good 4-5 days prior to the street date. Now it's a while before some of the big gun DVDs get to the WM here. Apparently they got hit with penalties as a result of such actions.

Jodee

Screenwriter
Wal-Mart usually "gets away with it" because they use outside companies (called a "rack-jobber") to merchandise their audio & video departments. These rack-jobbers have reps that visit stores assigned to their territory. What often happens though, is that a clueless Wal-Mart employee will put away stock that should remain in the backroom until the rep comes in on street date or soemthing. Usually the rep from the rack-jobber only comes in once a week to make sure stuff like this gets taken care of, but especially on a weekend titles could slip through the cracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks