What's new

Laptops to view DVDs with Dolby Headphone (1 Viewer)

Daron

Agent
I am looking to purchase a new notebook computer, specifically to watch DVDs on with something like PowerDVD, and to use that software's Dolby Headphone feature. The goal is to give me a positive home theater experience, on a vivid LCD screen, and good 5.1-like sound that won't wake the family.
Does anyone know if one notebook or another is better for that purpose (assuming it's above 500 mhz). Do I have to buy a computer with specific audio specifications for Dolby Headphone to work? Will the IBM Thinkpad line work?
Thanks in advance.
--Daron

Daron

Agent
Here's a follow up to my post: I just got off the phone with Cyberlink technical support, the makers of PowerDVD. They say Dolby Headphone should work on any laptop, provided it's loaded with the full version of its software. Any sound card should work.
So is there anyone out there who is using a software DVD player, and Dolby Headphone? I'm curious about how well it works. I saw a DVD on a laptop once, and was very impressed with the picture quality. I watched in a darkened room, and almost felt like I was in the theater!
But what do you think?
--Daron

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Someone in the AVS forum is actually using a Dell laptop as his "DVD player" connected to a projector. I think he runs PowerDVD on it too.
Dell sells some "kick ass" laptops with DVD drives, 32 MB of video RAM and a digital coax out to boot. And to top it all, it would only set u back less than 2 grand.
Anything above 500Mhz should be fine but the video RAM should be as high as u can possibly get. This is to insure u get a non-stuttering, smooth video playback. I only have a Viao with only 8 MB of video RAM and it does stutter at times.
Hope this helps.
------------------
Eric Samonte
Dito sa Pilipinas..may Hom Tiyeter rin kami!

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
I just got PowerDVD version 4 and it indeed supports Dolby Headphone. Man, it works great. I'm using it on my PC with a HP DVD drive and SB Live. The new PowerDVD has some great features including support for Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS!
http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/p....jsp?ProdId=28
What's New in this Version
DTS Digital Surround Decoder New
Dolby Pro Logic II Decoder New
SRS TruSurround XT New
Virtual Speakers Setting New
Enhanced Screen Capture New
Auto Resume Playback New
Adjustable Color Cast Controls New
Bookmark with Import/Export Option New
Customizable Toolbar Navigator New
Video Always on Top Option New
Mouse Scroll Settings New
New Skins with Minimize Feature New
Compatible with All DVD/CD Media & Drives New
MP3, CD, VCD, SVCD Multi-channel Playback New
Windows XP & DirectX VA WHQL Certified New
Main Features
i-Power: Gateway to the Web
Enhanced On Screen Display (OSD)
Dual Subtitles & Closed Caption Decoder
Dolby Headphone Technology
Dolby Digital Decoder
AB Repeat
Digital Zoom
Region Code Settings
Advanced Video Decoder
Multiple Navigation Controls
Express Menu
Dual Playback Modes for Widescreen Titles

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
I run PowerDVD on a desktop (PIII 500, 16MB VRam), a laptop (PIII 500 2MB VRam), another laptop (PIII 600 4MB VRam), all work good, no visible/audible differences. I suspose anything that's PIII 500 equivalent and better will work, and probably the best video and sound you can get, I think you can also check Cyberlink's website for their hw list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks