Laptop won't start up

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Scott_J, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

It's a Compaq Armada M300 running XP Professional. After the Compaq screen, it goes to an error message that says Windows did not start successfully - this might be caused by a recent hardware or software change (I can't think of any). It then gives me options to start in safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, start Windows normally, or use last known settings that worked. No Matter which option I choose, it goes to the XP loading screen for a few seconds goes back to the Compaq screen and it starts again. I don't have the XP installation disc for the computer.

Any idea what's going on? Thanks.

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

That could be a sign of hard drive failure -- but if so I would be a little surprised to see the Windows startup screen show up at all.

Is the computer still under warranty? If so, you should give Compaq a call.

Sorry I'm not too helpful. Hopefully someone else will read this and have more to offer.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

For Newer Compaq laptops, I have taken out the battery, and then put it back in, and the laptop finally boots up properly. Perhaps that might work for your older Armada laptop.

4. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

Thanks for the help guys. No warranty - it's second-hand, someone gave it to me for free. So I'm not too worried about it. There were just some documents on there I wanted but no biggie. I'll try the battery trick.