Laptop video out to RCA in on TV...possible?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Roger, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Mark Roger

Mark Roger Agent

I have a DVD-Rom on my laptop that I would like to hook up to my 32" TV via RCA jacks. Does anyone know if it is possible? And where can I get a cable that does this?

2. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

you probably have svideo out on your lappy (i do) so you just need an svideo to composite connector. thats somewhere near 20 bones at the ratshak (i was flabbergasted when i saw the price, the little thing is tiny too)

then you will probably also need a stero miniplug to rca audio cords thingy. you can also get that at radioshack. run that from the lineout on the laptop (if you have one, i dont so i have to use the headphones jack *blah*)

3. Mark Roger

Mark Roger Agent

No dice. I don't have an S-video out on the laptop. Any other suggestions? Thanks for the help.

4. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

do you have any kind of video out? if you didnt id be really suprised. how about a vga out? i dont know if theres a converter for that, but id be willing to bet there is

5. Mark Roger

Mark Roger Agent

I do have a VGA out. So I need to find a place that sells a VGA out to RCA adapter. Do these kinds of cables exist?

6. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

You can’t just get cable to take the VGA out to composite, S-Video or, component video because VGA uses a RGB output. Unless you have a RGB input on your TV you will need a converter to take the VGA signal and output it to either composite, S-Video, or component. These converters run about $100. If you do have a RGB input you can get a cable for around $35. If you purcahse a new laptop look for one with an ATI chipset. The ATI chipsets IMHO are the best at TV output.

7. Troy Swope

Troy Swope Stunt Coordinator

what kind of laptop is it? do you have the model number? most newer laptops that offer DVD playback also provide some sort of Video Out functionality. (I have several Dell Lat. Laptops that offer this. they use a Svideo plug out of the side of the laptop, they include the adapter that converts it to RCA composite jacks for you.)

Compaq's M700 line had an rca composite out on the rear corner of the laptop for video out.

Then its as simple as an rca composite to rca composite cable, along with a 1/8" stereo to rca right and left (for the audio) and you are in business.

HTH.

8. Mark Roger

Mark Roger Agent

I have an IBM 600E with a Toshiba DVD-Rom drive. I looked in the back and saw no type of video out except for the VGA port. Looks like I'll need some type of converter.

9. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter