Laptop Security

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CRyan, Aug 21, 2002.

1. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Well, what do you all use to keep your laptop where you left it?

I was going get on of the cable/combination locks, but then I saw a "Defcon" system that includes an alarm when the cable is cut. Anyone ever used one of these?

Thanks,

C. Ryan

2. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

A Kensington cable lock works best (for me anyways). I would say save your money on the lock and alarm combo, I don't see the practicality in it. If someone has enough time to saw through the cable or pick the lock...chances are no one's around to hear the alarm. Always password protect your screensavers and bios...set any password locks that the laptop provides. That's what I do and it works well.

3. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

CRyan,

I used to work for Gateway computers (awhile ago) and we used these alarms and sold them. The alarm will not only go off if the cable is cut but also if the lock is undone without the key. Let me tell you those suckers are loud and piercing. Another feature that some locks have is a motion detector so if the laptop is left on a table someone picking it up will also set it off. I would recommend then but nothing can beat taking the laptop with you instead of leaving it on a table for anyone to take it.

KyleS

4. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

And again if they have enough time to activate the alarm...when no one is around or looking, the laptop and the individual is long gone before someone decides to do anything about it. I equate them to car alarms. They go off so often that no one even looks in the direction of the alarm. Most people are not pro-active. A better example is in the building where I work. When the fire alarm goes off many people hum and ha about the inconvience of having to walk down 12 flights of stairs. If it goes off a second time barely anyone goes outside (which is crazy if you ask me...people are generally lazy and don't want to get involved). I'd say save your money and get a regular cable lock...IMO. Is this for when you are at work? If it's for school or something of that nature, Id say take it with you to the john... laptops are light.

5. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

I guess I should have elborated more about my situation. I am away from my desk much of the time but within 30-40 feet. I cannot always see it, and I don't want to worry about it constantly.

Depending on how loud the alarm is, I would probably be able to here it. I am glad you responded Kyle. I wanted to know if the extra $20 would be worth it for an alarmed lock.

Thanks for any more input.

6. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

When I was consulting, I found just a cable lock worked fine. I was also able to lock the door to my office at most client sites, but I only did that when I went to lunch and things.

7. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

I'm not sure what company makes these, but basically, you can purchase what amounts to a "Lo-Jack" system for your laptop... if it is stolen, you call the Lo-Jack provider, and they can track your system.