Laptop Screen replacment

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Weldy, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

I was wondering how hard is it to replace a lcd screen for a laptop. I have won one on ebay, but there are no instructions. I have general understanding of upgrading. I have always done upgrades myself. So I am wondering is it much harder than basic upgrades.

2. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

It will depend a lot on what Laptop you are replacing the screen in (Brand & Model) but it is certainly not a basic upgrade. You are in for quite a bit of fun if you have not done it before. Unfortunately your only bet for finding instruction would be from the manufacture which might be near impossible since they will want you to send it in to them. If your laptop is still under warranty then your warranty will most likely be void at that point. Just an FYI but make damn sure that the screen you won on ebay is the exact same size/model as the one you are replacing or it will not work.

KyleS

3. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

I just replaced the LCD panel on a Dell Latitude without too much trouble. The hardest part was unsnapping all the plastic connectors holding the two halves of the screen frame together. I kept fearing I'd break the thing, but all was well.

Dell even pointed me at an URL on their website with instructions on how to do the replacement.

4. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

well, half the challenge in replacing an LCD screen is finding the exact LCD to replace it with. LCD screens can vary wildly from one laptop to the next. taking one out and putting a new one back in isn't usually that bad, everything is fairly intuitive as the plugs only fit in one spot so there isn't as much risk of messing up.

for finding one, you can try heading over to www.earthlcd.com and email them the specs of the computer and any numbers you find on that old LCD and they might have one that can be used as a replacement in stock, if not they are typically good about directing you toa place that can get you a replacement.

good luck and keep us updated on your project.

(by the by, that's how I got my PDA, someone gave me their broken one and I just replaced the screen for 40$, not to bad!)