Laptop recommendation

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Tony_La, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Tony_La

Tony_La Stunt Coordinator

I'm considering one of these two Averatec laptops either:
    the 6240 (soon to be available at Circuit City - http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Avera...oductDetail.do

and the Sam's Club version of the 6210 - http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_s...cfkjdgoodflh.0

The only real difference is:

CC model (6240): Mobile Athlon 64 3000 = $1399.99 (14-day return policy)
    Sam's model (6210): Mobile Athlon XP-M 2400+ = $1099.86 (6 month return policy)

I'll basically be using it to:
    1) Burn movies/cds
    2) Surfing/emailing
    3) Occassional movie watching when travelling

No gaming, no multimedia work, no downloading movies/music.

Which would you recommend?

Thanks.

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Going by the things you list as your main uses I would suggest the cheaper of the two. I say this for two reasons: 1) It's cheaper. 2) More power = less battery (98% of the time) and you really don't need the extra computer power, so go with the longer battery life.

3. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

Don't have it yet (shipped today) but I bought a Dell 700m from Ebay on Friday. Supposedly has a fantastic 12" widescreen LCD, and with the 8 cell battery can get 4-5 hours of life. Bought it mostly for on the road photo storage, viewing, and editing, wireless internet, DVD viewing, and some limited gaming (it has integrated Intel video, so it can't handle a lot of the newer games).

Brian

edit: what's up with the spontaneous advertising links embedded in my message? Is this new?

4. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    Brian,

I don't think you'll be disappointed with your 700m, I got mine last month straight from Dell and absolutely love it! The screen is so bright and the colors are awesome. I also got the extended battery which from everything I have read is a must anyway. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay total?

5. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

I don't mind at all. The total was $1100 with shipping. About $300 less than what I would have paid from Dell. The config I picked up from Ebay has the 40 gig HD, CD-RW/DVD combo, 512 megs ram, and the 8 cell battery.
    I do wish I had known about that $750 coupon though, heh. I think that's where the seller got the one I bought, and why there are so many up on ebay.
    I have a question for you on the screen. I've seen all the comments saying how bright and clear the screen is. What are the viewing angles like? I was under the impression they were excellent, but I read a post somewhere saying they really weren't. Anyway, should have mine in a few more days.

Brian

6. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    Sounds like a great deal you got there! I paid $1450 total for my 1.6 ghz model with 256mb ram, 30gig HD, 802.11b built-in wi-fi, CD-RW/DVD drive, 8-cell battery and a 3-year warranty upgrade, with free next-day air shipping.

The first thing I did after buying it was throw in a 512mb stick of RAM to bring the total to 768mb. The second thing I did was reformat the hard drive and install a clean copy of Win XP Pro. It really runs nice. The screen seems very viewable to me from almost complete side angles, but I did notice when watching a DVD with a friend where neither one of us was directly in front of the screen that the up/down angle needed to be just right to keep the dark areas of the screen from looking bad... but overall, I would rate this screen a 9.9 out of 10. Oh, and I also just noticed a dead pixel the other day. It is so tiny that it took me almost a month to find it. It's not distracting at all though even on a plain white or black background it's hardly noticeable.

After you've had it for a week or two, I'd be interested to hear how you like it.