Laptop questionq

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DeathStar1, Aug 22, 2005.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Hey all,

I'm looking at laptops for when the next power outage happens, and I have a question or two here [​IMG]

1)What's the longest running battery for laptops these days?

2)Do any of them come with TV Tuners? The only one I noticed so far was a Sony Vaio model that was a wee bit out of my price rage at $2,100's. I'd need to lower that by at least $1000 [​IMG]

Thanks for any help

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

If your main goal is battery life, then you should focus on the Pentium-M or the AMD mobile chip. These are made to conserve energy. You should also consider buying an additional battery so that you could run two at the same time.

Your best bet on a TV tuner would be to get an external one. There are a few out there that connect via USB 2.0 that should fit the bill for about $100-$150 I think.

3. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Toshiba's Qosmio line has built-in TV tuners, but they're out of your price range.

4. MikeSelis

MikeSelis Auditioning

For best battery life look at Pentium M or AMD Turion64 laptops. The longest battery life I have seen listed is about 4.5-5.0 hours. This assumes maximum level of power management, with the processor clocking itself down to 1/3 of maximum speed and with the display dimmed.

Some of the Toshiba Qosimo series the 17" HP media center laptops have tv tuners. They start at around $2000.

5. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

I've seen a couple (asus?) laptops with two batteries that pretty easily hit the 8 hour mark. For a tv tuner I would look into something like the hauppauge usbtv deal, one I have runs completly off the usb power so there's no need for external power. I'm sure there's a few other reccomendations on usb tv tuners as well.

Something else to consider is to hook your networking up to a battery backup so that if the power outage is localized you can still access the internet. . . heck I still actually keep a small car battery and a 700w inverter to pull out during a power outage so I can still watch a movie or play some video games during my next power outage [​IMG] actually that battery has come in handy a couple times to boost my car or friends cars as well.

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Some of the Dells can be configured with the big batteries to push it to 6 hours or so. Turn off Wi-Fi and it'll last quite a long time even with the standard battery. I know I get 4 hours or so with the standard battery and wi-fi turned on with my Dell i6000. As for the tuner I agree go with an external USB2 model that way you can use it on any PC and it'll significantly increase your options.