Laptop Modem

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Michael D. Bunting, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    Are laptop/notebook modems (56k) universal? I have a Sony notebook computer and the modem has suddenly stopped working...I occasionaly go on the road and the dial-up option often comes in handy...

Is this something easily replaced? Or am I screwed [​IMG]

Another idea: Are there external USB dial-up modems?

2. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Laptop modems are universal, as long as you get a PCMCIA one.

3. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Michael,

Laptop Modems are Universal you just need to get a PCMCIA card modem and you will be good to go. Unless your PCMCIA slots are full that would be the way to go because replacing your onboard Sony modem would cost you hundreds after install. I believe that I have a brand new PCMCIA modem laying around I would sell for $20 shipped. Email me at [email protected] and let me know if you are interested I can accept paypal.

KyleS

4. JonSpice

JonSpice Stunt Coordinator

I have a external DSL(westell)modem furnished by my ISP Verizon.net, I pay $34.95 a month for DSL service on my I-8500. Speedy little creature now, not the turtle it used to be.[​IMG]

5. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Jon, but you still need an ethernet card, right? For the RJ-45 cabling, right? I've got that for my cable modem, but I use a wireless card at home, so that solves all my problems, but it's still got the built-in for when I travel.

6. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    Thanks for the offer KyleS - I actually picked up a cheap USB external modem for $25 locally.

Thanks for all the help everyone...

7. JonSpice

JonSpice Stunt Coordinator

JustinCleveland my modem is a ethernet card installed by Dell and they contacted by local area provider and set up the DSL connection. Verizon sent me the following a Westell modem(Tan color), 25 feet of RJ-45 telphone cable, a blue USB cable, a yellow wide ethernet cable, AC Adapter all for free. Included was a DSL CD that I set up following the instructions. Dell sent me a check for $75 after I got my statement owing a DSL one month of use, the first month was free. What use to take me 23 minutes to download, now only takes about a minute! All set up including a the correct card. Justin I hope this the info you wanted to know about.[​IMG]

P.S. Dell sent me DSL filters(Plug into jack then phone cable into them) for me to have to only pay for *1* phone per month, since they knew I had signed up with them to contact Verizon and get things moving. I have a W/S configuration 8.2 inch High and 13.2 inch wide on 16 X 10 SVGA+ L.C.D. screen.