Laptop HTPC that will do 5.1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by kay_chang, Jan 30, 2002.

1. kay_chang

kay_chang Auditioning

Does anyone have a laptop solution that will play a DVD to DLP projector but also allow a 5.1 digital output to a surround processor?

2. Nick_Murphy

Nick_Murphy Agent

Hmmmm, DVD to a DLP projector i'm not sure of, since most laptops only come with a single Dsub or VGA out for a monitor, and i'm not too familiar with external video capture/output devices! but for audio i believe you should just be able to get a "Hercules Game Theatre XP"
    Link: http://us.hercules.com/products/product.php3?id=17
    if it's possible you might not even need to use the PCI card that it comes with and maybe even hook it up to your sound card in your laptop! It seems that the external box is where the Dolby decoders are anyways! but more research maybe be required! hope you find somthing though!

3. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>but for audio i believe you should just be able to get a "Hercules Game Theatre XP"

4. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

5. Peter McDonald

Peter McDonald Stunt Coordinator

6. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Joseph S, thanks, good to know, may come in handy someday.

7. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Dell Inspiron 8100 has: s-video out, spdif out and of course the normal monitor out. They're also available with the new Mobile Radeon 7500 chip, which is the fastest mobile graphics chip out there at the moment.

My Inspiron 8000 also has spdif and I think it should be capable of outputting a digital data stream for 5.1, haven't really tested yet though.

8. Nick_Murphy

Nick_Murphy Agent

OK OK, let's get one thing straight.......

| if it's possible you might not even need to use the PCI card that it comes with and maybe even hook it up to your sound card in your laptop! |

This was my statement after i recomended the Theatre XP, hehe, now i'm just thinking if it was possible to use the external portion of the theatre XP and use the sound card built into any laptop, or am i completely insane??? lemme know!!! hehe, and thanx for correcting me if i'm wrong, hehe!

Anyways Peter thanx for the idea of the extigy, sounds like another interesting concept that is much better than mine!!! yay!! hehe! and again ups to Joseph S for the PCI capable laptop accessories!!!!!! laters!

9. kay_chang

kay_chang Auditioning

Thanks for the suggestions.

Does anybody know if the Extigy has an spdif out that will hook up into the digital in of a 5.1 receiver so that the receiver can then perform dolby digital decoding?

Are there any laptops besides the Dell Inspiron 8000 that have an spdif out?