What's new

Laptop and Cable Modem (1 Viewer)

My daughter has her laptop, which is wifi, connected to the internet via a cable modem. She has no other computer than the laptop. What she would like to do is to be able to disconnect from the modem and work off the internet in different parts of the house. What equipment do I have to buy, to make this work?

Thank You Bob H.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
All she would need is a wireless router, Bob. Linksys is the most popular and easiest to configure, although other companies such as Netgear and Apple sell them as well. Figure on paying about 50 bucks.

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
yeah dont go and pay alot for a router either, all she will need is a basic wireless G router, Both Linksys and Dlink are pretty easy to setup,for Ive had better luck with dlinks than Linksys routers for the last 6 months or so,Linksys has been having issues.

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
I just got a Linksys wireless-G for my PC so the kids can use their notebook and I can't set up the damn thing. Oh, everything's plugged in where it should be, and I followed the CD instructions completely. But... when the Set-Up searced for the connection to the internet, it kept coming up empty, and the only advice in the instructions was unplug the modem and try again. So I did. Again and again and again. Etc. I even started the whole thing from scratch.

Still nothing.

GRRR!

I hope this is my stupidity and not a problem with Linksys.

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
Joe, I'll tell you exactly what I bought: Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router, Model No.: WRT54G

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1051384663529

This is supposed to be an easy thing to hook up, but I can't tell what I did wrong.

My internet is a cable connection. My PC and the kids' notebook is a Dell.

I'm not sure who I should call for tech support: Cablevision, Dell, or Linksys!

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Have you been able to log into the setup screen? To do so, open a browser and type the IP address of the router.

(I realize you've probably done this, but want to cover everything)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Your cable modem may be locked on the MAC address of the device that used to be connected to it. Sometimes, it'll reset by unplugging it, other times, it needs to be reset by the cable modem's tech support. One way around that is to have the router spoof the MAC address of the device that used to be connected to the cable modem.

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
Well, I got my wireless router HALF figured out.

I configured the router now, fine, and got to hook up through it to my cable internet connection, but ONLY because I contacted Linksys and the Linksys chat guy made me download some "NetSet" thing from their site. Apparently, the set up CD that this router CAME with is USELESS. Man!

So, the Linksys guy also told me to save the download to a disc and run that on my notebook. I tried, but it wouldn't run.

Oh well.

Got to do more...!!!:angry:

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
I don't have a clue when it comes to computers, so I needed all the help I could get. After a second on-line chat with the tech guy at Linksys -- all problems solved. They were helpful, for sure... but why even bother including the setup CD? THAT was totally useless.:thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks