Laptop - $2500 Budget

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ThomasC, Sep 24, 2004.

1. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

My friend is planning on getting a laptop in a week or two, and he has a $2500 budget, but if he really wants to, he could go up to $3000. He'll be using it for instant messaging, e-mail, writing papers, and burning DVDs. I suggested that he buy an IBM ThinkPad or an Apple PowerBook. I specifically told him not to buy from Dell because of all of the horror stories I've heard about them recently, and I haven't been too happy with them either. Any thoughts?

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

It all sort of depends on what is meant by burning DVDs.

Almost any low-end (not too many features), reliable notebook will be satisfactory for e-mails and writing papers. If he just wants to burn DVDs from an outside source (not changing very much of the content), either a PC notebook or an Apple will be OK. Of course now he needs enough memory and a hefty enough CPU to handle this.

If by ‘burning DVDs’, he really wants to get into the editing of his source (maybe he has a mini-DVD camera), an Apple could be the best choice. Final Cut Express 2 is cheap (you can get if for $99 right now with a new Apple or $299 otherwise) and is very rich in features and easy to use. It is truly the equivalent of a high-end Avid system. Of course, how fast things will work, depends on how much power he can afford.

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

My first recommendation would be the IBM ThinkPad. Second would be the Dell business line, Latitude. The Latitudes are significantly better, IMO, than the Inspirons.

With laptops these days there's a tradeoff that must be made. You can get a desktop replacement which has a desktop processor, but weighs close to 10 pounds and has a very short battery life. Alternatively, you can get a 3 pound laptop with the centrino chipset and have a very long battery life. This entirely depends on what your friend wants. He could go either way for $2500. Personally, I'd go with the light-weight laptop as I have a desktop-replacement and hate carrying it around. Tell you friend to be sure to get a HD that spins at at least 5400rpm. Most laptop HD's spin at 4200rpm and that is the biggest bottle-neck on laptops these days. It makes for ridiculously slow start-ups and shut-downs and can slow down the process of burning CD's and DVD's.

4. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

5. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

You have 2 good choices in IBM Thinkpads. The "R" Series or the "T" series. The "T" is the thin and light business model. It gives you the most performance in a thin light weight package. The "R" series is a very good value. It's still fairly light (it's not a desktop replacement) has a fairly thin profile but is priced under the "T" series.

I've bought both the T and the R and both are very good.

The 3rd option is the "G" series which is a heavier desktop replacement laptop.

6. Sai

Sai Auditioning

For what he is doing he could by just about any computer with a dvd burner on it and it will suit him fine. You do not need to spend over $2000 on a labtop if he just use it for that.

Unless you have a lot of money to burn, I wouldnt buy a mac. Dont get me wrong macs are very nice computer if you take full advantage of it. Like if you are doing a lot of video or audio editing. But if he just use it for the stuff you stated a mac is kinda overkill when a pc will do the job.

About dell and the horror stories, there are horror stories about every computer company out there. There is not a single company that I havent heard someone said, "dont get a(n) XXX because they are not that good." It really depends on who you talk to. Dont just simply not buy that type of computer because SOMEONE had a bad experance with it.

7. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Any current iBook or Powerbook would do all of the requested tasks. Own a Powerbook G4 and very satisfied. Also consider spending less (i.e. not getting a loaded 17" laptop model), reselling after 2-3 years for $1000 and getting a new machine off the same $3000 budget.