Lapsed gamers buying Xboxes?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bardon, Dec 16, 2001.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I've noticed a few other posts from people who have been out of games for a while (last console they owned was probably the SNES), but are getting hooked back in by the Xbox. Is this really happening as much as we may be lead to believe though?

I know that I just got mine last week, and I know that three of my roommates will probably have one within the next six months. I don't think that any of them has owned a console in a LONG time, but after renting each of the three for a weekend, the Xbox is the undisputed champion. To safeguard my $850 investment, here's hoping it stays that way...

2. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

That is the case with me. My wife and I like to play a game once in a while, but never considered consoles. I have never owned a console except for an Atari. But the XBox has intrigued us enough to go out and buy one in the coming months. We just think it will be fun and the possibility of 480p widescreen gaming on our HD ready set is a great bonus.

C. Ryan

3. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Second Unit

I agree. I think the XBox is bringing in alot of first time gamers and "born again" gamers. The first console I bought was the Sega Genesis. I played it for three months, bought one game (PGA Golf), and never played it again after that. One of the worst investments I ever made. Several years older and wiser and having settled down with more money and more time on my hands, I am willing to give game consoles another chance.

I bought the Playstation One for my son last year and he seems to like it, however I am not that impressed with it. I am really into my HT system and would like a game console to complement it with the best graphics and audio available, which is why I chose the XBox. I have been wowed by the hype and am intrigued by the idea of a MS produced console as they have deep pockets, seemed committed, have a killer machine, and are using 3rd party game developers.

4. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

While I hesitate to say that the Xbox is drawing in new gamers en masse (or drawing people back into console gaming after a long hiatus), that is the case with a number of my friends.
    My roommate disliked playing post-NES games (due to controller annoyances, and 3D perspectives) until I bought an Xbox - Halo and Munch's Oddyssee piqued his interest, and now he's gone so far as looking into researching upcoming Xbox releases on-line (Nightcaster and Brute Force seem to be the most compelling upcoming titles for him).
    I've also got a bunch of other friends who enjoy games, but prefer the multiplayer+violence aspects (most play Goldeneye or Perfect Dark on N64), and just Halo was enough to get them to buy Xboxen. These really aren't really 'born again' gamers, but certainly not the types of guys that run out and buy every console as soon as its available, read internet reviews, or anticipate game releases.

5. Greg Robertson

Greg Robertson Stunt Coordinator

That's wierd that you mention it, since my friend who hasn't had a console since snes, got an Xbox on the first day. He has been into computer games though. I wonder if that's whats pulling them in? xbox = MS = computer games in a box?

6. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

In a convoluted way, the Xbox is the reason why I got back into consoles. My last one was a(n) NES, but with the recent boon in console releases, the Dreamcast came down to $50 and I just could not resist. Thank you Xbox - You made my Dreamcast cheaper than a game!

Up until now, there has been a clear distinction in performance between consoles and PCs, but the Xbox has come along and basically allowed us to measure console performance with the same metric used for PCs (i.e. core CPU clock speed) - and it stacks pretty well with some (read: my) current systems.

I know that 2 years ago, I upgraded to a PII 400 MHz machine with 256MB RAM and a pretty sweet video card (16 MB Nvidia). This Xmas season is right about the time I would be dropping $300 to upgrade my chip and video card for the PC. But whaddaya know, I can pay the same amount of money and get a whole NEW console! I think that many buyers are considering the Xbox a "computer gaming upgrade", with less hassle.

What do you all think?

Jason

7. Jake Gove

Jake Gove Second Unit

It's been the same for me, the last console I owned was a SNES. The Dreamcast, PS, and PS2 did nothing for me when I played them at friends' places. But, I bought an XBOX last week and have been loving it.

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

While this is mainly true, a lot of people I know are going to the GameCube because of Nintendo's brand name. Might just be people I know.

9. Kip

Kip Stunt Coordinator

10. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

11. Kip

Kip Stunt Coordinator

12. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

I guess I am a "born again" gamer. The last system I owned for a significant amount of time was NES. The xbox interested me with its power and 5.1. Although I enjoy playing the games now, I can't say that I have that teenager/early college excitement about the games. I hear so many people talking about Halo like it is a religion. I used to be like that. I would talk and think about every aspect of a game all the time. I enjoy Halo (and other games), but when I am finished - that's it. I may not even think about it for a few days or even a week. Then when I am in the mood I play it again. Things just aren't like they used to be.

13. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

Stefan...

Are you married? I find that I play fewer games since I got married. Not a bad thing, we just do other stuff. I also found that the thrill of getting a new system or game is somehow muted if you can just go out and get it anytime with your own money. When I was a kid, the anticipation at Xmas or my birthday led to me wanting to play all night long once I got it.

Actually the whole gift motif is kind of muted for me this season since I outfitted myself with a Dreamcast; I feel like i already got my gift. But that is off-topic...

Jason

14. Michael_Dal

Michael_Dal Extra

Before X-box the last console I owned was the original NES. Been PC gaming since the early/mid 90s and never felt the need to purchase another console until now. The 5.1/HD/WAN support makes the X-box the first console to offer an experience that rivals PC gaming- Now I can sit on my couch, drink a beer, and enjoy games on my 56" HDTV and 5.1 sound system. But the real payoff is yet to come, because the main reason I have stuck with PC gaming until now is that all the games I like are multiplayer and online. The X-box is the first console that offers wideband internet support.

15. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

I just bought-in myself, so I hope that this system does indeed have a long life span with many great games just over the horizon.

16. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

The last console I owned was the atari. So...it's been awhile. The 5.1 dd sound, s-video or component video, and games like halo all helped make the choice for me. [​IMG]
    Jon

17. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Definately a born again gamer. Last one I had was the PS1 but only for a couple months before I sold it. PC's were just too appealing and online gaming was/is the holy grail to gaming to me.
    I decided on the xbox a couple days after the launch. Of course it took a couple weeks to find one after that. [​IMG] But I love it and now playing on the projector I couldn't be happier. Haven't played a pc game in a month.

18. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

19. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

For the Saturn? Is there any relation besides both being design for the console?

Seems odd that they would have designed the NV2 for use in a console released in 95, release the NV1 in late95/early 96 on the Diamond Edge (which actually ran ports of Virtua Fighter and Panzer Dragoon which looked as good if not better than the Saturn Versions, and the card also came with ports for Saturn pads) and then 6 years later release the NV2A.

You're sure the NV1 wasn't designed for the Saturn?

20. Patrick Ferrara

The last console I owned was the Atari 2600. Since then while I was still living at home my brothers got Sega Genesis and when I was in college, my fraternity brothers mostly played Nintendo and later in my terms some started getting Sega Saturns.

I'd pretty much dissed consoles for PC games due to what I perceived as a superior detail and depth of gameplay via the PC. I've been married three years now and have seen my PC gaming drop off quite a bit (pretty much entirely) since I work on a PC all day and don't really feel like messing with a keyboard and a mouse anymore when I get home. Since then my money and time has been going into my Home Theater which now consists of a Sony 53HS10, Denon 3802 and Paradigm Studio Monitors, CC, ADP and sub.

I bought the X-box for myself a few weeks ago on a whim as sort of a pre-Christmas gift to myself when I found one in stock at an out of town EBX.

I've not been dissapointed. Though I still don't have a lot of time to play, being able to sit a few feet in front of that big 53' set and be blown away by the graphics and totally immersive sound just makes me giddy every time. It's like I've got my own personal Dave and Busters in my basement! Only my screen is bigger!

I figure this platform will be great for the next three years or so and then I'll move to whatever is the next big thing, which IMO will be another convergence type device combining even more aspects of HT, gaming, computing, etc..

Patrick.