Lap-top question

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
My wife has an extra IBM thinkpad lap-top. It is a pentium III with a 40gb HD, DVD burner, etc. I was hoping to use this for a home theater pc of sorts.

Next summer i am going to purchase a projector and would like to use the lap-top to play the movies.

What upgrades do I need to consider. I need an audio card with digital out. Will I need a video card as well? What other options might I want to consider?

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
My wife has an extra IBM thinkpad lap-top. It is a pentium III with a 40gb HD, DVD burner, etc. I was hoping to use this for a home theater pc of sorts.

Next summer i am going to purchase a projector and would like to use the lap-top to play the movies.

What upgrades do I need to consider. I need an audio card with digital out. Will I need a video card as well? What other options might I want to consider?

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
I dont think a thinkpad has the options of adding a sound card.

Though you could get a usb sound card. Not sure how the quality is. Search google for "usb sound card"

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
I dont think a thinkpad has the options of adding a sound card.

Though you could get a usb sound card. Not sure how the quality is. Search google for "usb sound card"

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Thanks. Are they any other ways of using the DVD player from the Thinkpad? Its not a big deal if it doesn't work. Thought it might be conveniant to use with a projector. Thanks

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Thanks. Are they any other ways of using the DVD player from the Thinkpad? Its not a big deal if it doesn't work. Thought it might be conveniant to use with a projector. Thanks

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
should be able to connect the laptop to a projector without too many issues. Not 100% how good the quality would be. I guess it would depend on what video chip the thinkpad is running and what projector you get.

good luck

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
should be able to connect the laptop to a projector without too many issues. Not 100% how good the quality would be. I guess it would depend on what video chip the thinkpad is running and what projector you get.

good luck

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
VGA (monitor) out from the laptop to the projector will give really good picture quality.

Sound out will probably be stereo only unless the laptop has a built-in digital output; just connect the sound output from the laptop to your receiver/amp. You'll probably need a 3.5mm stereo plug -> 2xRCA cable.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EmiliaHadson