Lantana

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DennisP, Feb 14, 2002.

1. DennisP

DennisP Stunt Coordinator

Do not miss this little gem of a movie. We saw it yesterday and couldn't keep from talking about for the next two hours. The story was rather slow in starting..but once it got going it really holds your interest. The plot is a bit contrived with a few too many coincidences..but that may have been what we enjoyed about the movie. It was pretty clever in the story telling. It is a departure from what we usually see in American movies...other than a few rare cases. It lacks some of the polish of the main stream American films but more than makes up for it in content and acting. It's a shame that films like this goes pretty much unnoticed by the movie going public. This is one of the best films we've seen this year.
    [​IMG]

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I just caught Lantana yesterday and I thought it was fantastic. The movie made me think about love, relationships, and the way we choose to interact with others. I went through all types of emotions in watching this film--chalk that up to some performances all around. Highly recommended. [​IMG]

3. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Saw it today and definitely think it deserves a thread of its own rather than getting buried in the "Independent/Arthouse" thread (not that there's anything wrong with that thread).

Certainly the intersecting characters device is familiar from Altman's films. It's a solid way of displaying the various reasons people stray or stay together while also keeping the film self-contained.

This would have made my "second 10" if I'd seen it in time. Definitely a good one.

4. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Here are my comments on this film.
    ~Edwin

5. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

I just saw it this weekend and was simply amazed at the quality of the acting. I was moved to evaluate my marriage and think this movie made me appreciate my wife more than ever before.

The one line in the movie that hit me the hardest was near the end when

Paula is retrieving her kids from Jane's house. Paula says "He didn't do it, Jane." Jane replied "How do you know?"; "he told me".

It was so compelling to see the characters interact and portray such difficult emotions as trust and suspicion. I really believed these characters, which is more than I can say for 90% of the crap that comes from Hollywood.

6. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I loved this film, too! Just topnotch acting all around and wonderfully written. Can't wait for the DVD on 5/21!