What's new

Lantana DVD (1 Viewer)

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I can't find any online reviews, but I loved this movie in the theater (one of my favorites of the year) and I will be picking this up.
Details from Amazon:
• Region 1 encoding (US and Canada only)
• Color, Closed-captioned, Widescreen, Dolby
• Commentary by production Team
• Behind the Scenes Footage
• Production Commentary
• Widescreen anamorphic format
DeepDiscountDVD for $17.09.
BestBuy has it for $17.99.
HTF Lantana thread.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
This great film died a quick death in US cinemas. Hugely successful in Australia, though, where it beat Moulin Rouge for all the major awards at the Australian equivalent of the Oscars. Well worth a watch for the many who missed it during its all too brief theatrical run in the US.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
I've had the disc for two weeks but some things have kept me from finishing my review. I have however watched the disc and will try and finish the review before it street's on Tuesday.

The final specs are as followed

2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer

Dolby Digital 5.1

Making of Documentary (30 Minutes)

Theatrical Trailer

Trailers for Perfume, Monster's Ball, American Psycho 2

The commentary appears to have been dropped as it's no longer mentioned on the case. Also the back of the case states that their are deleted scenes which are also not included. I've confirmed with Lions Gate that this was a labelling error and the scenes were never to be included on the disc.

In short the video transfer is pretty good and one of the better transfers I've seen from Lions Gate and the audio mix is very good as well.

Hope this helps, I'll try and get that full review up ASAP.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
A commentary has been recorded for this DVD in R4, but appears not to have made its way onto the R1 (the R4 sell-through version is a few months off yet, which may explain its absence on the R1 DVD).

David Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator
I really want to see this movie, but decided to wait for the R4 release in case it receives the SE treatment over there; considering all the awards it won at their AFI, I'll be surprised if it does not.
Roll on its release, but for all you poor folks without multi-regional capabilities, here's another review of the R1: http://www.currentfilm.com/dvdreview...ntanadvd2.html

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Roll on its release, but for all you poor folks without multi-regional capabilities, here's another review of the R1: [link removed]
Actually that appears to be the same review. I should know since I wrote it :)
I was hoping that there would be a commentary track since it was listed on the original press release but I guess it wasn't completed in time.
Oh well. It's still an excellent film and a nice disc from Lions Gate
Mark

David Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator
Actually that appears to be the same review. I should know since I wrote it
Well I guess my reaction can be summed up with one smilie: :b That'll teach me to read everything in a thread before posting (I opened your review up in another window but didn't read it before embarrassing myself...)! Excellent review though, Mark.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Well I guess my reaction can be summed up with one smilie: That'll teach me to read everything in a thread before posting (I opened your review up in another window but didn't read it before embarrassing myself...)! Excellent review though, Mark.
Thanks. Glad you liked it. As for embarrasssing yourself I'm sure we've all done. Heck I know I have :)

Adrian_P

Stunt Coordinator
This was definately an excellent film. Was considering picking up the R1 because I couldn't have been bothered waiting for it to become sell-through. However I may just hold out for a commentary track and a few deleted scenes that will hopefully appear on the Region 4 release. With what happened to The Dish release I wouldn't be surprised if R4 gets more extras then R1.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
The review on DVD File (http://www.dvdfile.com/software/rev..._5/lantana.html) states that there is an audio commentary on this DVD. For the life of me, I can't find one on my copy (or referred to on the box, for that matter). Has anyone else had success with finding this?
There is no audio commentary. That review also lists the street date as being June 4th which is incorrect as is the running time given to the featurette which is only 25 mins as opposed to their 45.
This is the second review I've seen that lists the information incorrectly, the first was one of the reviews that was removed over at DVDMG.
Anyways my review is up at Link Removed
**edited for clarity and to remove anything that could be considered an attack or mis-statement againest another site**

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
so, the Canadian and US releases are the same?
I have the Canadian. I was just about to post about the DVDFile review - which I find rather bizarre. :confused:

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
so, the Canadian and US releases are the same?

I have the Canadian. I was just about to post about the DVDFile review - which I find rather bizarre

Yes they are the same. The back cover and spine might be slightly different due to Lions Gate's deal with Columbia Tristar in Canada to distribute their product. Other then that the disc content itself is the same.

I wonder what's up with that DVDFile review. I find it odd that they would report incorrect information.

Dan Ramer

Agent
Mark,

I can assure you that the Region 1 screener I received to review did indeed have a commentary, just as I described. And the length of the featurette clocked in at 42:59 (I did take the liberty of rounding that up to forty-three minutes in my review).

Allow me to assure you and DVDfile's readers who participate in this forum that I have never written a review based on a press release. I watch and listen and assess every aspect of each DVD.

As for the release date found in the sidebar specifications, that descriptive information is not generated by the reviewer. That data typically is provided by the studio and transcribed by our webmaster when the review is formatted for publication. I'll be the first to admit that the studios' descriptions do, once in a while, differ from what we find on the disc. Pete compares what the reviewers report (aspect ratios, sound formats, features) with the studios' specs and he makes appropriate changes in the sidebar, but oversights sometimes occur. If a studio changes a release date and does not notify us, we will publish whatever date the studio originally provided.

Dan

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Now I am very confused. :confused:
I received my copy of the DVD a few days ago. I have not yet had a chance to check it out. I will check my version when I get home to see about a commentary and the featurette.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Allow me to back up Dan regarding the commentary. I have a region 1 screener and popped it in to take a look when I first got it. I was surprised to see an audio commentary option since I thought I had read that one wasn't present. I'll have to look at it again when I get home, but there is a commentary on the screener disc. I don't know about what Dan received, but I don't have a case to compare specs as it was a a disc sent in a jewel case.

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
So they obviously dropped the commentary after the screeners were made (why?) but why the difference in the docu? This really makes no sense at.

Is anyone able to contact Lions Gate and get the story from them? (or put up contact details here?)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I have a Region 1 'non-screener' and there is no 42 minute featurette and no commentary. Just a couple of 'talent files.' Bare bones, in other words.

Great movie though.

-j

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks