What's new

Language and XBOX Live (1 Viewer)

Brian_J

Second Unit
Ok, I am not a prude or anything nor do I assume my 9-year old kid doesn't hear any of this stuff during the week but the language was getting a bit out of hand the past couple of nights (yeah you know who you are).

Between the F-bombs, c-sucker and other much more graphic language it seems clear I am going to have to turn the voices off or not let him play. Me, my son and a couple of 9-year old friends were in a HTF game when everybody started describing graphic sex acts on each other. This is unfortunate. At the same time I don't want censors and if people want to get together to promote anal research and to shout suck my *(%$! to everybody else more power to them...the offended should play in another party, but could Microsoft not provide a PG-rated and an R-rated system of some kind so you would know in advance?

Brian

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Which games were you and your son playing? Consider that the majority of Xbox Live games are M rated and tend to attract an audience more prone to use profanity.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
The HTF games I have played were reasonable in that regard, when you have a bunch of guys together you're gonna hear "This fucking sucks!", "This is so fucking great!" other such poetry every few seconds.

They do. They indicate at the begining of the games that the rating may change when you go online.

Now, my first Live experience was tempered by the level of immaturity I witnessed, which had little to do with cursing. My solution was to post here and restrict my Live interaction with the more mature HTF crowd. I am now happy. I suggest you do something similar: Find a group/clan of people that suit your needs for your son - I very much doubt you're the only concerned parent out there, and restrict the kid to that group.

If you have some issues with very specific people, you can always mute them. Not having experienced anything close to what you're describing, it may only be a handful of people, therefore muting them should not affect gameplay too much.

And just what in the name of wonder is "anal research"?!

--
H

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
As indicated above XBL is more geared towards adult players. Although it doesn't guarantee action if you are truly offended by what some players are saying you can indicate as much in their feedback. Too many reports and Microsoft will apparently suspend or ban the player. But beyond that the MUTE button is your best friend.

Brian_J

Second Unit
Hey I am not easily offended and I anticipate the occasional f-bombs from adults, otherwise I would not even let my son get on. You take that in stride. Not to mention the fact that I was letting him play a game where the goal is to get a "head shot" on your opponent.

It was the graphic use of language (as verbs) that had me rushing to the back button (way too late). And Holadem is right in that it was mainly in the training ground of Halo 2 that the worst offenders were located. Basically a bunch of teeny boppers enamored with the sound of such words. But, also some offenders were also apparently members of this board who happened to be there. That from the assumably more mature HTF croud specifically dissapointed me.

Brian

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Well, being in the HTF group is no guarantee of maturity either, unfortunately. The group I was with today (which I think included Holadem) was great though. If you are having an issue with the language I think the majority of HTF'ers would understand if you told them there are nine year olds in the mix, but again, no guarantees. Personally my pet peeve is trash talking, seeing that I was raised to be a gracious loser AND winner. But then I could be a little skin thinned.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
I was playing with a group from LCVG and a member had his two sons playing. We all knew this & spoke accordingly.
One player entered & spouted off a couple obscenities, they quickly advised the new player about the kids playing & everything was fine.
So I'd suggest building up a friends list of people you trust are mature enough to handle a conversation.
Either that or take away the headset (the 100% foolproof method).

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Gary kind of beat me too it. You DO know that Halo is rated "M", right?

That being said, there really is no need for some of the language I've encountered online. Hell, I'm an ex-sailor, so swearing doesn't bother me at all, nor could you consider me a prude. Sure I trash-talk, but generally I'll contain myself if I hear a young player, or if I'm playing with complete unknowns, as opposed to friends.

However, I never cease to be amazed by some of the trash that comes out of the mouths of children when their parents aren't in the room... boggles the mind...

Brian_J

Second Unit

This aside, I never thought the single or coop modes were particularly violent in the sense that its useful violence. :) I.E. war type violence, a necessary evil. This unlike a game such as Kingpin or GTA where you just go pop random people for no apparent reason. Which I would never ever let him near. The online Halo is much more violent, however, in that you are shooting opponents (although they are bots that respawn).

But the thoughts of those two kids at Columbine always come to mind which is why I will never allow a door locked in my house, a television or a computer in his room and definitely will not allow him onto XBOX live without me or my wife being around.

Brian

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
This phenomenon has been well documented.

I agree with you about the M for Halo 2 being a little excessive, but as for the online thing, there's not much that you can do really. People just like saying things that they'd never say to your face.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well I occasionally drop and S or F bomb, but it's usually a gut reaction to when I just got fragged. I don't swear up and down while playing, but sometimes I turn a corner, or jump down to a different level, and land in the middle of a group of guys on the OTHER team.

That's usually when the S or F bomb pops out.. :D

I'll try to control that, though...

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'll do my best. I never call anyone names or discuss any "immoral acts" :D

But I'm sure I've said a few choice words. We're big boys, so I hope that's OK.

Take care,
Chuck

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Taking the headset way won't stop the bad language, you can still hear people through the speakers/tv/normal output. I don't have a headset since I have a wireless controller and don't feel like spending $50.00 on a wireless headset after already spending $50.00 on the controller.

It's mostly the kids around 12-16 years old that do most of the swearing on XBL, in my experience. It's pretty funny if you play in the middle of the day when a lot of the European players are online. "Fooking bawlsheet, man!"

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yep, go to game options and have chatter set only to headset (not "mixed" and not "TV") and the only thing coming out of your TV is game sounds. if your son is playing as your guest, we'll assume that you have the headset, and this work out for you.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
If it is just one or two players in a game you can also "mute" everything that player says for your system. Just select their name from the list and select "mute".

You can also report them for foul language in this list if it was really bad (and you warned them of the children.)

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris

So it's okay for some folks, age indeterminate but probably not old enough to drink in a bar, to get on XBL and swear like...well...immature teenage boys, but it's not okay for a father to make a judgement call on what maturity level his son is at? Come on - the M rating, like a lot of movies is for "Exaggerated Sci-Fi Violence". This is the beginning of a great argument based on logical fallacy.

Is it that unusual that someone might find XBL and Halo 2 a great past time but is also offended by the inability of folks to express themselves without obscenity?

Btw - I have let my eight year old play Halo with me and we have a blast together. I was afraid of going onto XBL with my son because I thought I would be too embarrassed as a result of getting dusted to easily. Now I fear the embarrassment would be of an entirely different sort.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member

Christopher - you hit the nail on the head. You and your son play together. Which is really cool. I think the comment above was geared towards young kids playing on their own in a live chat environment with God knows who at the other end. On a game that is rated above what they should be playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks