What's new

LandRover vs. other SUV's (1 Viewer)

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
A friend of mine test drove a Discovery and ended up with a Honda Pilot. He was glad he didn't get it as I told himn about these vehucles are like "high maintenance" girls, ..u know...the kind u can "ride" a few times before having to bring her in, dig into ur pocket for cash before u can even "ride" her more.
Oh BTW, I too own a Honda Pilot.... ;)

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I own a 2000 discovery II. I think I paid $500 for the maintenance plan, that covers all scheduled visits up to the 37,500 mile check up. I had a couple of recalls, one for the radiator. But other than that, I've put no extra money into my vehicle. I'm at 32k miles and it is a solid performer. I'm quite pleased with my purchase.

I will say that the gas milage is terrible, but then again, so are all SUV's. In addition, the price was more reasonable than Jeeps, which I think are over priced.

About the reliability issue in the past, I believe this to be a non-issue because the company has changed hands a couple of times, once to BMW and then to Ford. So the reliability factor should not be based on old processes from a previous owner.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
So we're supposed to believe that the reliability is going to improve now that they belong to ford? :laugh: The Pilot is on my short list for my next vehicle. I know its not an off-roader. I dont see how you can beat it as a total package. I'm just looking for other SUVs with a third row seat and its almost impossible to stay south of $32,000-$35,000. I'm really impressed with the Honda.

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Does anyone have some experience owning one of these vehicles for awhile?
I believe this is what the original poster asked. Antagonizing me or my vehicle is very counter productive. I guess out of the thousands of discoveries out there, I got the only good one. I see them many landrovers on the road and that should be a pretty good indicator. If you do not like landrovers then fine. Keep your subjective opinion to yourself. You would be more helpful if you talked about your own suv and your experience with that model. Nobody needs to hear anyone elses snide remarks.

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
Suppose I mind as well chime in...

I am on my second Range Rover. First was an 89 and now a 96. The first one I bought used w/ 125k miles. Drove it til 192k miles. My current one, I just bought used w/ 60k miles. Let me add that I have been a service advisor for 15 years. Three years of which were for Land Rover. I have also worked for BMW, Mercedes Benz, Ferrari, and Lexus. I have owned everything from a 67 Mustang, VW, Porsche, Toyota truck, 98 Cobra, Datsun 260z, Acura TL, 2 Rovers, Triumph Spitfire, to a Camaro.

First thing: all cars break and YMMV w/ any given manufacturer. Through the years, I have seen any given maufacturer have cars that never seem to need repairs and ones that are in every month. There are no guarantees. My least reliable car was my 67 Stang. My Acura needed more repairs (including reoccuring warped rotors)than most of the ones I've owned. Hands down, the most reliable/least repairs was on my Porsche Turbo. Go figure!!!

As to Range Rovers...
Yes, they're quirky British and yes, they break. My first one was in the shop at times, but no more so than one would expect. However, during the winters in Oregon, I played taxi to everyone I knew. Nothing could stop the Rover. Ice, snow, rain,etc. These are built like a tank and the drive system/suspension is one of the best there is for adverse conditions or off-road. Mind you, I did a lot of off-roading. Used to go on tri-club meets w/ Rover/Land Cruiser/Jeeps. The first event I went on a guy in one of those built up Jeeps couldn't climb a muddy uphill "V" rut. I drove my Rover around him, hooked up a Keeper strap, and pulled him the rest of the way up. Hmph! Rovers are very capable off-roading stock. Not just ground clearance, but off set differentials and massive suspension articlulation help for this.
My new (bought used) Range Rover is very problem free, so far. Do I expect to do repairs, yes. I also bought a 4 year extended warranty to defray the big expenses. I highly recommend one. FWIW, I recommend an extended warranty on ANY highline car out of factory warranty. Repairs to anything costing $50k-100k are expensive.
In all, I really like Range Rovers. The ride, the off-road capability, the luxury, and it's abillity to deal w/ almost any weather condition make it a very pleasing vehicle to me. I personally do not care for domestic SUV's... too plasticy and drivetrain not built to the level of a Rover. (just look under a Rover to see how stout it is.) The frame rails are twice the height of a Jeep's! For me, the perhaps slightly higher repair time and low gas mileage are very acceptable trade-offs for a vehicle that I like a lot.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any Rover Q's,
Michael

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
If you are referring to me. Look up and you will see that I am about to get rid of a '97 Range Rover and before that I had a '93 County. So, that is $100K+ worth of experience plus thousands in repair cost. And I am not talking about routine maintenance that all vehicles require. There is absolutely nothing subjective about my opinion.

There are approx 4 authorized dealers in my area. All of them constantly quote 2 week backlogs for repair/maintenance. Just from memory on the '97: 4 batteries, the coil in the dash leaking antifreeze into the cab, $2000 EAS computer dead, Brand new EAS computer dies again (they were nice enough to charge the second one to warranty), EAS compressor dead (got me on this one though), numerous $40 bulbs, all four EAS shocks shot, fuel switch burned up, radiator leaks, HVAC blower valve stuck, HVAC blender valve stuck, sunroof stuck, $600 windshield won't defrost, no A/C in the summer, no heat in the winter (the heated seats always worked though), numerous saftey recalls (at least they were free)......... on and on and on.

I fell for the hook in '97 about the new Ranges having better reliability. It was lie. I won't ever buy another. I could have bought 2 fully loaded Yukons for what this piece of crap costs. Hindsight.

My best bud and I bought '97 Range Rovers on the same day and his experience is no different.

Maybe the Discovery is bit better unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks