Landmines

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Howard Williams, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

This may sounds a little silly but I was watching "The Thin Red Line" last night and it go me thinking. Actuually it got me thinking about "Behind Enemy Lines" and it's landmine scene. Anyways, if you step on a landmine and hear the click, couldn't you take your shoe off, then put a rock or something on your shoe and get away? The mine doesn't explode until you raise your foot, right?

2. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

That's assuming that the land mine only works with an on-off switch. There are hundreds of different type of land mines.

There are magnetic ones that only get set off by vehicles.

There are ones that use pressure(weight) to determine if they go off or not.

You couldn't keep enough pressure on the switch without your foot in your boot to keep the swtich depressed.

3. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

That might work if you were actually fast enough but I don't want to consider what would happen by screwing up. Those things are pretty wicked from what I've read.

Jeff

4. Chuck Frady

Chuck Frady Second Unit

The odds of you being able to remove your foot from your shoe, and finding a rock heavy enough to do the job, all the while you are pissing your pants is pretty slim.

Most anti personnel land mines are of the type that pop up and explode about torso / head level. More likely for a kill. The land mines depicted in BEL's seemed to be more anti vehicle mines.

5. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

WW2 style anti-vehicle mines could be avoided to a certain extent by driving real fast; they were designed to explode after the tire had driven off of it, so it would hopefully explode in the middle of the vehicle.

6. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

There was a really cool scene in a movie of the torso style land mine... It pops up in the air and explodes in slow motion. I forget which movie though...

7. Dave Sutton

Dave Sutton Agent

"Blown Away" had that scene. Pretty cool effect I thought.

8. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

The General's Daughter may be the movie to which you are referring.

C. Ryan

9. Hakan Powers

Hakan Powers Stunt Coordinator

10. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Yup. And the Geneva Conventions require a 'kinder, gentler' method of fighting. This involves wounding instead of killing, using ammunition designed to blow right through an opponent, instead of fragmenting and bouncing around inside the body, and other such things.

Besides, watching your buddy get killed sucks. Watching your buddy get his leg blown off, then carrying him to the evac point while he screams incoherently and spurts blood from his leg, well, that sucks even more.

"Infantry, huh! Put'er there, son! You know, the Mobile Infantry made me the man I am today."