Land / People That Time Forgot

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gunnar Syren, Dec 24, 2001.

1. Gunnar Syren

Gunnar Syren Stunt Coordinator

Does MGM own Land That Time Forgot? If not, who does? I just watched People That Time Forgot and it seems to me that this is one of those sequels where you really ought to have seen the first film before you see the sequel. So if MGM owns it, it seems really strange that they only released the sequel.

2. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

People doesn't even touch the perfection that is Time. If MGM does have the rights to Time, this was one big screw up, but my guess is that they somehow don't. I gotta get At the Earth's Core soon though. That and Time were big favorites of mine.

3. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

The Land That Time Forgot was scheduled for release not long ago, paired with The Blob, I think, on one of those cheapo brands, but was yanked for who knows what reason. Undoubtedly, it would have been full screen and the source would have been in lousy condition, so maybe it was for the better.

4. Gunnar Syren

Gunnar Syren Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, if memory serves me right it was Madacy that was supposed to release that double bill. Highly unlikely that it would have made anybody happy...
    Madacy + Ten Foot Pole = No Touch [​IMG]

5. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    MGM (not AOL/Time/Warner) does control THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT. I believe it was actually Goodtimes that announced the LAND THAT TIME FORGOT/BLOB double-feature DVD, then cancelled it (not the first time this has happened); they probably found out at the 11th hour that MGM still controls LAND THAT TIME FORGOT. Why it wasn't released as a Midnite Movie DVD before (or together with) PEOPLE THAT TIME FORGOT and AT THE EARTH'S CORE is a marketing mystery.
    But then, while MGM released the DR. PHIBES films on DVD at the same time, there are other AIP film series that have been released arbitrarily, like the "Beach Party" movies (still no MUSCLE BEACH PARTY ('64), and HOW TO STUFF A WILD BIKINI ('65, the 5th film in the series) was released before BEACH PARTY ('63, the 1st film)), the Roger Corman "Poe" films (TALES OF TERROR ('62) released on DVD almost a year before HOUSE OF USHER ('60) and THE PIT & THE PENDULUM ('61), and no sign of THE PREMATURE BURIAL ('62) yet), BLACULA (but not the sequel SCREAM, BLACULA, SCREAM), COUNT YORGA (but not the RETURN OF sequel), EMPIRE OF THE ANTS (but no FOOD OF THE GODS, although EMPIRE isn't really a FOOD sequel, it is a "follow-up" film by the same director). Remember that MGM didn't release the James Bond series on DVD in chronological order, either.
    I have no inside info, but I'm sure we'll see LAND THAT TIME FORGOT on an MGM DVD sooner or later.