Land of the Lost - June 22!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Tony J Case, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Tony J Case

Tony J Case Cinematographer

A friend of mine e-mailed me this tidbit, and I thought I'd share:

I hope to god it's true. Between this, The A-Team, Quantum Leap and Doctor Who, June is shaping up to be a Ramen Month for me. . .

2. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

I can't wait for "Land of the Lost." Lucasfilm and WETA Digital have nothing on those groundbreaking, far superior special effects. And Spielberg's "Jurassic Park" looks like a toy store aisle compared to the T-Rex in "Land of the Lost." This show changed television and special effects movies as we know it, and I can't wait to have it on DVD.

3. StacyV

StacyV Second Unit

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

I assume you're joking. [​IMG]

I just saw some clips of LotL on a VH-1 special and couldn't believe how awful the effects were and that I actually bought into them when I was younger. Horrible miniatures, obvious dinosaur puppets, cheap stop-motion animation, bad blue screens, tacky sets. [​IMG]

5. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

The effects were awful. Awfully cheesy.

Cheesy = GREAT!

6. Tony J Case

It may have been cheap animation and bad blue screen - but the stories are rock solid, by some of the best SF writers in business. Ben Bova, D.C. Fontana, Larry Niven, Theodore Sturgeon - just to name a few. How Sid and Marty got that kind of talent to work on a childrens show is amazing, but damn it shows.

7. Mike Williams

Of course, I was joking about the "groundbreaking" special effects.

I am still going to get this on DVD though. Along with D. C. Fontana, Larry Niven and Theodore Sturgeon, another "Star Trek" writer that wrote at least an episode for "Land of the Lost" was David "The Trouble With Tribbles" Gerrold.

8. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I haven't seen the show since I was a kid, and was ready to assume it would never hold up to adult viewing and dismiss this release. So, the writing was actually good?

9. Mark Lx

Mark Lx Second Unit

I was going to say, I recall it being a rather cheap looking show, even from a kids point of view. I'm sure in seeing it again, it won't look that bad. A very memorable show. One of my Saturday morning favs, along with Sigmund.

10. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Even when I knew they were diving on to a mattress under that foamy white dry-ice smoke (a fact revealed by them tending to BOUNCE), it still scared me whenever they got thrown into that pit.

And the sleestak still scare me to this day.

Land of the Lost would also make an absolutely intense video game - just look at all the elements, and they're perfect for a first person shooter.

11. Tony J Case

It was really solid stuff - sure it was kind of simple and accessable for kids, but it never talked down to them. The first season was a very tightly scripted show (seasons 2 and 3 slightly less so - but still pretty damn good).

Lets put it this way, compared to say - oh, the Transformers or GI Joe - LotL was a top shelf saturday morning kids show.

BTW, in addition to writing duties, David Gerrold was also story editor for the first season - which is how I suspect that they managed to get such Big Name Writers.

12. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg

I just have a bad memory, because I figured it would be terrible. That's why I was surprised a few weeks ago when I joked about this show coming out on DVD, and my sister was hoping it would be true. "That show was great!" I kind of laughed it off, but now I'm seeing that I'm the one who was wrong. [​IMG]

That might be the way to do it. "Hey, here's Land of the Lost for ya! Let me borrow it!" [​IMG]

13. Mike Williams

Mark_Lx, actually I think you may find that the effects will look even worse than you remembered, especially given how far effects have come since then, and how already bad they were at the time.

14. Tony J Case

Holy crap!

Commentary by Sid & Marty Krofft, commentary by David Gerrold on FOUR episodes, commentary track by D.C. Fontana, commentary tracks by Walter Koenig and Larry freakin' Niven!
    And a shit ton of interviews with Will, Holly, Cha-Ka, and David Gerrold.

This shoots to the top of the Best DVD of the Year list.

15. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Tony - yep. Thanks for reading my news item.

ST:TOS fans are going to flock to this one, I suspect. In fact, I think I'll go mention it in the appropriate thread. To be able to listen to David, DC's and Walter's thoughts will definately excite my fellow Trekkies/Trekkers. [​IMG]

16. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey

I felt the same way when I watched HR Pufenstuff recently.

17. Rob FM

Rob FM Second Unit

R
    I've watched 2 of the 3 discs now.... pretty good stuff!

The commentary tracks by "Will" & "Holly" are awesome.. they can't stop laughing, they hadn't seen it in 25 years!

Good stuff, check it out.

(And what ever you do, .. don't put a Yellow crystal next to a Red and Blue one.)

~Rob

18. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I just bought this set.
    Having only seen like 2-3 episodes way back when.
    but still bought it anyway, since it was a pretty cool show.

I'm on episode three now.

Really loving this set!

Does anybody remember the remake they did for this show, wasn't it early 90's? instead of a raft, they drove a station wagon.

Wouldn't mind having this.

19. Rob FM

Rob FM Second Unit

R
  20. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

JohnS - I was exposed to the '90s remake well before the original. It was pretty entertaining Saturday morning fare around 1991, but the original definitely is superior.