What's new

LAND OF THE GIANTS! - Where Are You? (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yep I've felt that LIS would get a redo after the other series are finished since the 1st Voyage and Time Tunnel sets were announced even though its the lesser series to me.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Critic's Choice is listing LAND OF THE GIANTS: The Full Series, for release July 24, 2007. MSRP $199.95. Critic's Choice Price $159.96. I guess this would be about $130.00 at deepdiscount and other online dealers.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Seems kind of high-priced compared with the LIS, TIME TUNNEL and VOYAGE half-season sets. They all listed for around $40 each and were commonly discounted to under $30 - at around $28 per half-season. So unless this set comes down to around $112 then it's a bit overpriced, IMHO.

I applaud the release of the full series in one set, but the pricing listed here seems a bit out of line.

Harry

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
It seems high to me too. The MSRP on Season 1 for Fox's FALL GUY is (only) $59.95. Hopefully the price is a placeholder. Complete GET SMART was around $189,for five half-hour seasons. Fox has raised some prices, the MSRP for Voyage S3 Vol1 is $39.95, up from $29.95 on the S1 and S2 vols.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
Interesting that the price for the Voyage sets is going to rise to $39.99 - isn't that what the S1 volumes started at, then the S2 volumes were released at $29.99 (which made sense, as they have fewer episodes). Oddly enough, with the price rise for S3, we're back to where we started, except it will look even odder, as we'll be paying more for fewer episodes!

Fox are just weird sometimes!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Will they still be on Flippers for that Price. I believe the show only lasted 2 seasons, thought it was OK but would never buy for that Much. Guess I'll have to Netflix it...

michael_ks

Screenwriter

Considering that Fox can expect lower sales figures owing to fan realization that the show declined in quality after S2 and the fact that many newcomers to the series who bought the first season or two may feel they have all the underwater action they need, it's a stupid move indeed. Also, what other special features can be added at this point besides a photo gallery?

This pricing move has the potential to hold up the 4th season from release, which was arguably better than the third.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit

As I recall, the first two volumes had the higher price, but this was lowered later on. That could happen again.

The two latter seasons may be regarded as being of lower quality, but on the other hand, I suspect that these episodes carry a much stronger nostalgia factor. When I think of the show I think of the monsters! Not the early (and black and white) spy story type stuff.

I also think that most "fans" will tend to buy complete series - which is probably the thinking behind the Land of the Giants mega-set.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
The first season of Voyage had more episodes than later seasons so maybe they can justify a higher price. S2-4 had the same 26 episodes per season so the price seems rather high.

Time-Life softened the blow on the Get Smart sets by breaking it into four payments. On a per season basis, LOG is higher than the first season of LIS. I have a feeling that they're not going to be selling many at Walmart or Target. The good news is that since all the seasons will be released, I can wait without worrying about whether later seasons will be released.

I also see that it Land of the Giants the Complete series is listed on DeepDiscount as well for approximately $146.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

Wow. I liked the idea of both seasons together but did not expect this high of a price. The Half seasons have a $39.95 list so 4 x $39.95 should have been a $159.95 list at the most and not $199.95. As a big fan I will still get it but Fox may be killing themselves with their new concept with that high of a price.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Posted at TSoD

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7143

Count me in for this one. Price is higher than we're used to seeing for a TV/DVD set but what you get in this set
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
's especially if the xfrs are like the Time Tunnel set and Voyage, this one will be a gem. Gord has an editorial about the set. Let's hope it sells well. I for one want a lot more series releases and less "vol 1/2" releases. With the Get Smart set selling well, maybe we'll see more of the same coming from the vaults.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Here are the details on the complete series set:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7143

While the price may be high, you also have to factor in that this is a complete series release, with special packaging and extras, and carries a premium over the "regular" sets that have been released for other IA shows. Of course people are going to look at the price and say "But that's what Buffy cost for 7 seasons!!" and while that's true, Buffy was also released in season sets before, so the complete series set was basically extra money for them since the cost to master/create menus/shoot bonus material/license music... had already been paid for. This is a niche set being released as a complete series set (which ensures that the entire series will be released), in attractive packaging (I've seen a very small thumbnail of the packaging), with bonus material.

Gord

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

1. If Fox really thought highly of this series it would release a 12-15 disk set
Not on freakin Flippers. Look at what time Life did, released all 5 season of
Get Smart, in an atractive Box, on DVD 9's 25 of them. I simply Will not pay that price for Flippers. I've had way too many problems with them.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Ugh.....Flippers.... I had forgotten about that pothole in the road. That makes it a tougher sell for me as well, but I'll get this one. I don't understand that either (studios sticking with the Flippers after all of the customer feedback).

Doug^Ch

Second Unit

I have to agree with you. I would pay the high asking price for LOTG, but not for flippers. What the hell is the matter with Fox?

michael_ks

Screenwriter

What an incredibly egregious oversight. Just boggles the mind. High dollar, lavishly produced set with copious amounts of extras, all on dreaded 'flippers'. As a side note, flippers aside, this is how I dreamt of "Voyage" being released, instead of individual paperback-sized 1/2 season sets.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gord, help :) Any idea why the studios keep cranking out the Flippers after the feedback from the consumers? Cost-savings is the first thought but, it makes one wonder if they listen to their customers. I (thought) I've been seeing a trend away from the Flippers in the TV/DVD releases. Is that my imagination? I don't have the #'s to check it out.

I guess I've been one of the more fortunate or lucky collectors as I've only had to exchange 3 sets of Flipper sets so far.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
OK, count me out. I bet when you get the set at least ONE of those discs will be crapped out. Then you have to send the WHLOE thing back because of one disc. I promise with flippers you will get a crap disc! Why would i pay a premium when FOX cant even give me the goodness that Paramount can for less? I dont pay a premium when, once again FOX wants to cut corners!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks