What's new

Land of the Giants (region 2) (1 Viewer)

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I just noticed that season 1 of "Land of the Giants" is being released in Region 2 this week and season 2 in June. For those that passed on the big expensive set that also don't have any issue with PAL or region encoding, this might be what you've been waiting for. I ordered season 1 from Amazon for just under $40 US shipped. If you wait another 6 months it will probably be reduced even more.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Yeah, this is one I wish I had waited on. I'd much rather have single-sided discs.

Gary "I may still bite on this one down the road if the price decreases even more" O.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I may have to double dip here too, some of my region 1 discs have problems. Overall though, The Time Tunnel is my favorite and the more interesting show where Land could get a bit samey.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The set looks quite good (packaging wise) and has plenty of DVD extras (including an unaired version of the pilot episode). The release date for the second season of Land of the Giants is Monday 13th June, 2011, and is again a 7-disc set (source: Play.com).

Rl3058

Grip
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by cajunhillbilly
There is already a US version. It is quite expensive and comes in a big weildey package.
I meant a re-package set without all extra stuff that came with the US release.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I have enjoyed the first 12 of Giants. I took all the extra things away and have just the dvds in a case. I plan to revisit LIS the first year after Giants. David stated these episodes are not in order and he is right. I have an Irwin Allen book sold on Amazon a few years back. The book maps out each of this TV shows in detail. I keep it close by when watching his shows. Remeber ther are less than 50 books left to sell on Voyage. Alpha Control.Com is where you can buy them
Mannix will be out in July so I want to watch as many of Giants as I can before that date.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
The last of the Irwin Allen series. I think they told all the stories they could on this show. The use in season 2 of all the Peyton Place sets I really enjoyed. The only time I will see them in dvd. The Kobic guy was like the cop chasing the Fugitive. His office was the Steven Cord building in Peyton Place. I waited for aliens but he kept them out. Being on pills help me enjoy the show more LOL.
Thanks again to Gary for making buy this set.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
There just doesn't seem to be enough love for Land of the Giants on this forum! I loved this show as a kid, and I'm on my second viewing of the series since I purchased the UK DVDs back in 2011, and still loving it. I like the simplicity of the stories, almost a comic book come to life kind of feeling. For those who enjoyed this series as kids, now's a great time to rediscover Land of the Giants. If you're in Region 2 PAL country, or have a region-free player, then you can grab the full two seasons now for under $40US (£24.99) at Amazon UK here. I notice the US set got lots of complaints for the flipper discs - the UK set is all single-sided discs held securely in sturdy 7 disc cases.

Who else loves Land of the Giants?

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I bought the Region 1 complete series release but it took 3 times before I was able to secure a set that played without problems (i.e. freezing, pixelating, etc.). Apart from Kurt Kasznar's ham-handed performances, it is a enjoyable Irwin Allen series (I also own Lost in Space, The Time Tunnel, and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea). I wish they would re-release it in Region 1 on single-sided discs without that unwieldy packaging.

Darby

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Darby67 said:
Apart from Kurt Kasznar's ham-handed performances...
Interesting you should say that, because Kurt Kasznar's Fitzhugh is actually a part of the series I really enjoy. He plays the character exactly as it should be in my opinion: cowardly, pompous, overwrought and overly dramatic. Anyway I'm almost finished watching the series now, viewing 2-3 episodes a night and having lots of fun with it :)

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Persianimmortal said:
Interesting you should say that, because Kurt Kasznar's Fitzhugh is actually a part of the series I really enjoy. He plays the character exactly as it should be in my opinion: cowardly, pompous, overwrought and overly dramatic. Anyway I'm almost finished watching the series now, viewing 2-3 episodes a night and having lots of fun with it :)
Koroush:

If you haven't already, you should definitely check out Kurt's performance as Pozzo in Samuel Beckett's Waiting for Godot: it's Alexander Fitzhugh does Theatre of the Absurd!

Darby

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I thought I would bring the last of the Irwin Allen threads back to life today. I sure would love as one of the Fox MOD thread people said this series release in that program.

I know there are many Giants fans. With all the interest in LIS I thought I would give Giants a chance. I did watch the show as a kid and it had the last of those great Irwin Allen special effects. He used props on that show from all his shows. He even used all the sets of Peyton Place and in the 1969-70 season the entire shows sets because Peyton Place was canceled and you had a town where the little people could go.

I was lucky to buy the set on the cheap and it looks great. The bonus features are also very good. Like I have said Giants would rank at the last of the 4 for me or even it might tie with LIS for as everyone knows here Voyage is my favorite of all the shows.

mattfire64

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
So, I've been slowly making my way through "Land of the Giants" after purchasing both seasons from Amazon Instant Video and have really been enjoying it so far. However, it seems that Fox supplied Amazon with older prints of the show that are often very "fuzzy" looking (think the original "Lost in Space" DVD releases). The last episode that I watched ("Genius at Work" from late season 1, guest starring none other than Ron Howard!) was in even worse quality, featuring an overall murky, fuzzy image that made things quite difficult to make out in the darker scenes. The episode also featured the original Fox logo at the end (all the other episodes plaster it with the later "20th Television" logo) indicating that the episode probably came from an even earlier print run.

Ultimately, I'm looking into getting this Region 2 set after dealing with the poorer print quality of the Amazon episodes. However before I buy, I'd like to know if the episodes suffer from any PAL speedup (running at around 49 mins. instead of 51 mins.). It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but it's something I'd be interested in knowing before I put down any money for the set.

Pathfiner

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
I always swap around the last two episodes - making the penultimate episode 'Wild Journey' guest stars Bruce Dern, Yvonne Craig become the show's final episode instead

'Wild Journey' stands as a much better final episode with a time travel angle and including footage from the pilot episode 'The Crash' it makes the whole thing look a 'Twilight Zone' style recurring cycle thing and in the absence of any third season or actual return to Earth ending it stands as a better resolution for the show, the last scheduled episode 'Graveyard of Fools' resolves nothing and could go in anywhere in season two so I make that one the second to last episode.

I do the same with 'Alias Smith and Jones' by putting the latter third season episode; 'The Day The Amnesty Came Through' last which sees the pair repeating the words of the pilot film and getting ANOTHER deal for another year to keep out of trouble with a new governor !

Again the actual last episode 'Only Three To A Bed' resolves nothing at all re the show's premise and could go in anywhere

Last edited:

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
As there's only one Dr. Loveless episode in Season 4 of Wild Wild West I watched it last. Seemed fitting as the first reunion movie was Loveless-based.

The whole Artemis being out of town subplot is a bit of a mess when viewed either using air date order or production code order, as either way, he's constantly coming back and then being gone again. Can't find anywhere the actual production order. The production codes may be out of sequence due to a rapid reshuffling of the shooting schedule after Martin's heart attack.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
So, I've been slowly making my way through "Land of the Giants" after purchasing both seasons from Amazon Instant Video and have really been enjoying it so far. However, it seems that Fox supplied Amazon with older prints of the show that are often very "fuzzy" looking (think the original "Lost in Space" DVD releases). The last episode that I watched ("Genius at Work" from late season 1, guest starring none other than Ron Howard!) was in even worse quality, featuring an overall murky, fuzzy image that made things quite difficult to make out in the darker scenes. The episode also featured the original Fox logo at the end (all the other episodes plaster it with the later "20th Television" logo) indicating that the episode probably came from an even earlier print run.

Ultimately, I'm looking into getting this Region 2 set after dealing with the poorer print quality of the Amazon episodes. However before I buy, I'd like to know if the episodes suffer from any PAL speedup (running at around 49 mins. instead of 51 mins.). It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but it's something I'd be interested in knowing before I put down any money for the set.
The DVD's were made from new HD masters and look great just like VTBOTS. Not fuzzy at all. If the region 2 DVDs are from the same source as Region 1 you shouldn't be disappointed.

dstrong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Damon

I have the Region 2 PAL set, and the answer is YES, there is PAL speedup, with episodes around 49 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks