Land Before Time reissue Dec 2nd

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Peter Overduin, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

This is one of those films that was so deficient in its original release, I refused to buy it.

Finally, the best of the series is getting the treatment it deserves. The Diana Ross song at the end alone is worth the purchase! Am I the only one who feels this was an outstanding piece of animation that never got its due - till now?

I look forward to adding this to my growing list of Fall acquisitions.

(I would love to see a pre-release review of this, BTW - [​IMG]

2. William Waits

William Waits Stunt Coordinator

It STILL isn't getting its due, because according to information that we can obtain thus far, it is STILL the butchered MAR'd release, and not an OAR release.

That is what we are going on until we find more definitive answer from Universal... Let's hope the info has been a mistake up until now...!!!

No OAR = No Sale!

3. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    There is an existing thread on this subject which can be found if you perform a search.

IIRC, this is just a reissue of the previous full frame version and NOT a new transfer.

Hopefully things have changed.

4. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Didn't Mariah Carey do the song at the end? I hope this isn't full frame. It's the only movie in the series that I'll watch voluntarily.

5. Joshua Lane

Joshua Lane Second Unit

The song at the end was done by Diana Ross (great tune!) and the Land Before Time: Anniversary Edition DVD is definitely a full-frame release... here are more details courtesy of, well, my site:

The Land Before Time: Anniversary Edition
    VIDEO STUDIO: Universal
    STREET: 12/2/2003
    S.R.P.: $24.98
    RUN TIME: 1 Hour 9 Minutes
    AUDIO: English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround, English DTS 5.1 Surround, French Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
    CAPTIONS: English
    SUBTITLES: French, Spanish
    PICTURE: Full Frame (1.33:1)

DVD Features:
    How Do I Find Things?
    Adventures in The Land Before Time
    Sing-Along Songs From Your Favorite The Land Before Time Adventures
    Dino-Stars
    Dino Activity: Break the Code
    I Can Put This In My Computer?
    DVD-ROM Features Including Fun Dinosaur Games and Activities!
    Jurassic Park Institute

------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, this "Anniversary Edition" is kind of annoying. On one hand, the disc includes both 5.1 & DTS tracks as well as some decent-looking features, but on the other hand, it's still pan&scan?

6. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Craptastic!
    What's the point?

7. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I give up. I have really lost ALL respect for Universal now. The supplementary materials on this disc are limited enough so that a second layer containing the widescreen version could so-o-o easily have been included. Why go to all the trouble of producing a "special" edition of a previous pan-and-scan DVD when your intention is to release it P&S yet again? The people who accept (or even embrace) P&S don't give a flying you-know-what about a new transfer or new edition. BUT THE TRUE AFICIONADOS OF THIS MOVIE AND ANIMATION IN GENERAL (i.e. home theater forum members and their ilk who are adament about OAR) DO!!! And we are in large enough numbers that this latest decision from the now-useless Universal Home Video is just an flat-out travesty. Screw them. Wait until a new regime settles in and brings the home video division up to Warner Bros. speed (and let's remember, Warner three or four years ago was like Universal is now - so maybe there is hope!)

8. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

What's next, a proper widescreen release only available in a box set with all the craptacular sequels?

9. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

Dan, Universal IS releasing a box set of all the films. It's the same MAR disc of the original in it, though.

10. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

Well..obviously I was wrong.

Still not OAR? Strike this off my list.

Shit.