Lance Bass Part II: Can an airhead survive in the vacuum of space?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Briggs, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

In a stunning exhibition of oblivious celebrity self-absorption and utter ignorance of science and technology as well as demonstrating a complete disregard of human decency, 'N Sync's Lance Bass is still under the impression he can win a seat this October aboard a Soyuz spacecraft for a ride to the International Space Station.

Before you click on the link, be wary of the following mistatements of fact, which may or may not be attributal to gossip columnist Friedman:

• Lance cannot go to the Moon; currently, no one can.

• A "Russian space shuttle"? Well, the Soyuz can and does "shuttle" people to and from orbit. But the true Russian space shuttle, the Buran, never achieved operational status. The bird, instead, lies in tragic ruin.

• So Bass thinks the Russians can spare a desperately needed Soyuz TMA spacecraft for his little joyride when every such vehicle is now needed to keep a contingency crew aboard the ISS? Once the pared-down Expedition Seven crew sets up shop this May, the astronauts will have their hands full simply maintaining this priceless asset's viability.

• Isn't it a little too soon after the STS-107 tragedy even to be making such moronic statements to gossip columnists? Does Bass have any awareness beyond self-gratification? Does he even read, say, newspapers? Oh, but now I'm getting mean.

Idiocy.

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I hope when he's up there he makes a cool song about the stars.

3. Rain

Rain Producer

You know, I'm no fan of Lance or 'N Sync, but once again I feel compelled to come to his defense.

The guy is obviously passionate about this and I just don't see what that big problem is.

I have to wonder: If John Lennon were still alive and he wanted to go into space, would there be this much complaining about it?

(And don't even bother telling me that Lennon was a great artist and Bass isn't. I know and that has nothing at all to do with it.)

4. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

I'm surprised nobody's said they wish he'd been on the last mission. That would be tasteless.

Actually, I thought this was supposed to happen last year & that he had been passed over for the trip.

5. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I would give my left nut to go up there if I could. If they would settle for XX millions and I had them, I would be gone faster than you can say "". Perhaps not so soon after the tragedy, but I definitely would.

--
    Holadem

6. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

People have created this huge "scientific" barrier towards space exploration .. which is fine. However, what will truely drive space exploration is the commercialization of space exploration. Bass, Tito, etc. are all pioneers in this respect and it's only a matter of time before the price tag comes down.

The more trips = more R&D into cheaper launch vehicles = more exploration.

These are all good things!

7. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

The more trips = more R&D into cheaper launch vehicles = more exploration.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

I think you spelt that last word wrong. Shouldn't it be "exploitation". Cheesy trips for well-heeled dilettantes may open near space for exploitation, but I find it harder to believe that it will, in any way, spur exploration.

If Bass wants to be a high-priced piece of "boat ballast" and the Russians want to carry an "anchor" into space then I cannot see a problem with it. I think the real numbnuts are the ones that are going to be putting up the money so that he can realize HIS dream.

8. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Better technology for near space will result in better techology for deep space. The more money that goes into space exploration (near, far, wherever you are) the better off the entire industry will be. The positive impact on other industries (e.g., energy, material science) will also be significant.

9. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

Better technology for near space will result in better techology for deep space. The more money that goes into space exploration (near, far, wherever you are) the better off the entire industry will be. The positive impact on other industries (e.g., energy, material science) will also be significant.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds good, except it isn't happening. The present "space tourist market" that the Russians are dabbling in is a severely limited one. The amount of people with twenty million dollars to buy a space on a 40 year old "lawn dart" is very limited. There are not enough people in that market to ever affect the economies of scale needed to bring "space tourism" into the affordable range. The money being generated by the Russian "business venture" is not creating any extra benefit to the space industry. It is being entirely eaten up just to maintain a 40 year old delivery system.

The only way the space industry is going to get a boost is when governments re-commit to a properly funded effort.

10. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I disagree. At a minimum, the $20M club has dramatically and globally increased awareness of and interest in space exploration.

A direct result of this awareness has been a burst of private sector funding to inner space companies. Look no further than one of the co-founders of PayPal who sank $40 million of his earnings into a launch vehicle startup.

While it is true that the current generation of space technology will not benefit from space tourism -- indeed, why would it? it wasn't designed with such a purpose in mind -- the next generation most certainly will.

11. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I have a friend who has spent time at the Russian launch site in Kasizistan(sp???)
    To get there from the airport (more like a greyhound bus station with planes), you need to ride on a half track because the roads are bad or non existant. The place where the engineers scientists and techs live is closer to a prison than a launch site. Basically everything smells of vomit and vodka. To go into the town closest to the site, he had to have armed bodyguards because they will kill you if they think you have a dollar.
    Russia has no money for a space program, if they can't get millionaries to pay $$$$$ for a ride, they will drop out as simple as that.
    After the recent diaster to the shuttle, I give him credit. Most would have changed their minds.

12. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I really can't see how, barring another disaster, this will be anything but a good thing. As it stands right now, the space program only gets noticed when something bad happens. If Lance Bass can not only fulfill a fantasy of his, but get Viacom to pay for it so that they can film his training and mission for MTV, which in turn is promoting manned spaceflight and the ISS to teenagers (at a time when the public is being fed little but grim news about spaceflight), and supplying a much-needed cash injection to the Russian space program... Where's the harm? Yes, the seat Bass takes up could go to a scientist. Still, I think the long-term gains from the publicity could be extremely beneficial.

13. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    DuJour means space exploration.

14. Jack Briggs

The problem for Bass, right now, is the fact that every Soyuz-TMA spacecraft must be used for essential ISS support. No joyrides. All U.S. Orbiters are grounded until the cause of the STS-107 tragedy is nailed for sure.

Even more daunting is word coming out of the space community that no Orbiter will ever fly again until some sort of thermal tile-repair system can be installed aboard the remaining three vehicles (very recent development).

If the Orbiters are grounded for more than a year, all Soyuz-TMA spacecraft are earmarked for serious ISS business. The coming two-person crew (and the one that succeeds them in the fall) will have their hands too full simply keeping the ISS in working order to spend time babysitting a rich pop star.

(And it doesn't matter who he or she is; at present, no non-essential personnel are going to be flying to the ISS.)

Otherwise, I'm all for ventures that help stimulate an active interest in the space effort.

15. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Wow - that's a huge project. Do you have a link to more details ? I never heard anything more than brief speculation on this (and why it wasn't practical).

Thanks

16. Jack Briggs

Surprised me too, Kirk. I'll find you the link at Keith Cowing's excellent NASAwatch site a little later.

17. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

I would LOVE to be known as a "millionare adventurer" like Steve Fossett or, to a lesser degree, Dennis Tito, but with the state of the space program (US or Russia or whoever) as it is, nobody should be allowed up there if they have nothing significant to offer (besides tens of millions of dollars) to the exploration or scientific community.

Lance Bass, both scientifically and artistically, has nothing to offer.

18. Jack Briggs

Interestingly, the last paying customer to hitch a ride aboard a Soyuz to the ISS, South Africa's Mark Shuttleworth, actually had a scientific agenda and did some useful work during his stint in orbit.

19. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

Clinton, is that a reference to Josie and the Pussycats? If so, I can't place it in the movie ...

I'm slowly warming up to the commericalization of the space program, but I think it's pretty selfish for him to be back into this joyride business so soon. Why doesn't he put some of that money towards NASA's shuttle budget? Show some good faith and get things back to where they need to be before going on the hayride.

20. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I don't have a problem with Lance Bass going into orbit. But how much is he going to pay us to let him come back?

Seriously though, it could be good PR or terrible PR. COuld you imagine if he got injured or even died on the journey? I don't care what releases he signed, space travel would be dead for the immediate future. Trained astronauts or kosmonauts who die performing their duties is one thing, a boy band member on holiday is quite another.

I say let him wait like the rest of us [​IMG]