LAN Party Security

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasenP, Nov 5, 2002.

1. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    I am going ultra-geeky this weekend and I will be attending a LAN party at a friends house to do a little UT2003 fragging. I trust my friends, however I don't know everyone that will be there very well and I am a little concerned about security.

I am running XP Pro and ZoneAlarm, am I still vulnerable?

2. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Since files tend to get swapped during these outings, you might want to make sure you have antivirus software as well - updated antivirus software, that is.

Wouldn't hurt to run windows update to make sure you have all recent bugfixes installed either.

Other than that, no major worries. If you keep your computer hooked up to the Internet all the time using zonealarm, a local lan with people who have no reason to hack you is a much safer environment really.

3. DanielN

DanielN Stunt Coordinator

What Kimmo said, also...

Make sure you unshare all of your drives/folders or use a strong password and only give it to the friends you trust.

4. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

5. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Make sure you do a good ghost or backup before you go in case your system gets trashed. At least you can rebuild.

6. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Yes, I agree with Lee. If you are *really* concerned, I would buy an external HD of the same size, back it up the night before the LAN party, then reinstall it right after (or if something screwy starts going on.)

I backup all my drives with ghost, it gives so much peace of mind for so very little $.

7. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Actually, you can unshare the administrative shares as well, just like any other share.

Presumably zonealarm would prevent anyone from seeing the shares in the first place, unless of course you permit the traffic.

Bottom line is that if you use a little common sense, make sure you keep your computer upgraded and use antivirus- and firewall software, the chance of anything bad happening at a lan party among people you know personally is nearly nil.

8. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance Supporting Actor

Gerald LaFrance
    HI LANS are usually pretty safe I went to one and didnt have any problems with those issues!! HAVE FUN