LAN & Internet Connection Issues......Help

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Reyna, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Reyna

Reyna Auditioning

Hello all. One problem will be easy and I anticipate the other will be more difficult. Let's get to it.

1. Internal LAN issue. I've always set up a peer-to-peer network. But I just installed W2K Server & want to setup my other local machines to login to my internal domain. How do I go about setting that up? I started out like normal, assigning internal static IP addresses to my server & workstations. Right now, they're not able to see each other on the network. Once I fix this & the workstations can see & ping the server's IP, will they just be able to join the domain? What else do I need to configure on the server? I added the computernames of the workstations & login accounts in Active Directory. I'm a bit confused why my workstation cannot see my server right now, & thus cannot joing the domain. Do I need to set up DNS or WINS on the server for this to work? If so, what range of IP's can I use. Right now, I'm using what I've always used for internal IP's: 10.10.10.1 & above. Subnet mask 255.255.255.0.

2. Internet connection issue. Since I live out in the middle of nowhere & no cable modem, DSL, or even ISDN available, I had to go to a one-way satellite connection for broadband. Here's the way it connects: PCI sat card installed on my server. RG-6 coax from dish connected to PCI card. Now I have to dial-up for upload. Once I establish a live connection, a login client automatically detects the connection & logs me into my satellite ISP. Proxy settings are set in Internet Explorer settings. So I click IE, dial-up goes to webpage & connects, then sat kicks in, webpage loads quickly. Now I want to have my other workstations use the sat for downloads as well. I've tried Internet Connection Sharing within W2K, WinProxy, & Wingate. Haven't gotten any of them to work. It's possible I didn't configure these apps properly. I prefer to use Winproxy if anyone can help with that. Also, if Internet Connection Sharing will work for this issue, please adivse on how to set that up as I've never successfully used this. I wish I could use a router but 1) no routers I know have a coax in and 2) the PCI card is installed on my server, which needs a live sat connection to prompt the login client. Ideally, I'd prefer if all workstations dial-up separately & then share the sat connection for downloads. But if that isn't possible, then the server will have to all the work, including dial-up. Previously on W2K Pro, before installing Server, I was able to share the connection, but my workstations would pull the dial-up, not the sat.

3. I just thought of 1 more thing I need some help with. FTP Client that can be configured to use my sat connection. Honestly, I'm not that knowledgable about FTP Clients. I've tried SmartFTP & it works fine. But when I go into the properties to configure the client to use my sat connection, it only recognizes my dial-up & downloads with that. Also if I configure the proxy (HTTP Tunnel) before I connect to the FTP site, SmartFTP attempts to connect to my sat ISP address that set in the properties. Weird. According to my sat ISP, FTP uses the same proxy IP address for FTP & should work. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. Any & all help in solving these issues is greatly appreciated.

2. Chun Lam

Chun Lam Agent

Well, if your machines can't even ping each other, that means TCP/IP networking isn't configured properly. There's no way it can join a domain if that's the case.

First I'd try to get networking working. What are the IPs of your computers? If they all have a 10.10.10.x address block, you should be able to ping each other by using the IP, provided you have everything cabled correctly.

As for DNS, you'll need DNS unless you're using something else that can resolve hostnames. I'm not a Windows guy, but I think you'll either need WINS, NETBEUI, or DNS.

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

You might try not assigning ip's and setup your server to include a DHCP server and let it assign the addresses.

4. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

how many nics do you have in your server? hopefully you have more than one, put a switch on one and add your work stations to it and setup win2000 server as a dhcp and your good to go.
    setup DNS as well.

5. Chun Lam

Chun Lam Agent

I'm not sure what you'd get by having multiple NICs on this server. It's a relatively simple setup - I don't think more than one NIC is necessary.

6. Reyna

Reyna Auditioning

Thanks for the replies guys. Please keep all suggestions coming.

First, I'm 100% the cabling is correct. I know you guys have to bring that up but there is no problem. Before I installed Server on this machine, I had this same machine with W2K Pro on a peer-to-peer working with the same NIC's, same cabling, same hub.

I am using all 10.10.10.x blocks with subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Now I know I need to be able to ping first. But since my workstations can't join the domain, I'm not sure what else to do. I've always used static on peer-to-peer but I will try DHCP tomorrow. I assume this means not setting a static for the Server as well, correct? What other way is there to configure TCP/IP other than static or DHCP? In my experience in W2K/XP, either it sees the network or it doesn't. But again, I may be doing something incorrectly.

I see no need for more than 1 NIC on the Server, especially since this has worked proprly in the past, well at least with W2K Pro on a peer-to-peer. I do not have a switch, just a hub right now. I planned on picking up a router but haven't seen a need as of yet.

Thanks again.

7. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

The server will have a static address. You should make it 10.10.10.1 or something like that and this will show up as your "Default Gateway" on your other computers.

8. Chun Lam

Chun Lam Agent

Well, that's provided you have the networking set up properly. Windows networking relies on TCP/IP (or some other network layer protocol) to communicate.

9. Reyna

Reyna Auditioning

Well, I figured it out. Firewall wasn't allowing the workstations to ping the server. Configured a rule: issue resolved. I was able to successfully join all workstations to join the domain.

Now onto the internet connection issue. Spoke with the owner of the sat service. He told me to enable internet connection sharing for the dial-up connection. He then told me to use DNS forwarding, using the dial-up ISP's DNS servers. But I have to call him back tomorrow because I can't find DNS forwarding anywhere. Second, after that issue is solved, I'm to set the sat IP in the IE Connection properties (proxy server). Then the workstation will pull a webpage from the server using the dial-up for upload, & sat for download. Hopefully I can fix all this tomorrow.

Any more suggestions, feel free to chime in.