What's new

Lamp on my LCD RPTV went, PLEASE help... (1 Viewer)

Jason Sweet

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys, looking for a little expert advice here. I have a 40" LCD widescreen RPTV, the Samsung PLH403W. On Christmas day, as I was showing off Grand Theft Auto 3 on the PS2, The set shut off and the power light blinked for about 20 seconds, and then all three display lights started blinking, indicating the lamp/bulb had gone. I called the East coast service center for Samsung in NJ. They asked for the model number, and I said PLH403W (EXACTLY what it says on the serial number info) and they told me they had nothing like it only W3, W6, etc. They told me to look again, and there is NO number after the W anywhere on the set. I have the service manual, and took the blub out, but there is no info on the bulb itself. I called back, they said they had no idea what to do, especially since it's a no return item.

So..my questions...

I've had the set 2.5 years, is that normal for a lamp to go so fast?

They said the average price for the lamps they had was over $400, is this normal? (it's seems way high.)

What should I do? Take a chance on one of the bulbs? Start looking for a new set?

Once you go 16:9, I don't want to go back. This time I'd go for a tube TV, but those are $2000-2500 for a 34-38". Should I cut back my buying and start saving?

I'm in serious withdrawal after a week of no DVD PS2 or Xbox in my HT. (Thank God for my portable DVD!)

Please, any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Jason

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Jason,

Here's some info a kind soul on these forums gave me for bulb replacement on the Samsung 40"widescreen:

Bulb replacement:

1-800-627-4368 $216.56 +s/h

Model No. PLH403W

Serial No. 31CN200066F

I have had the same television for about 8 months and am really enjoying it, though I too dread the day when the bulb burns out. If mine lasts 2.5 years from the day I bought it, I'll actually be happy. I only use it to watch movies, not regular television. I'm trying to conserve the bulb for as long as possible. Did you use it often or just for movies?

One thing: have you tried unplugging the television and re-starting it? I actually had the three lights show up once(only a few months after purchase!) and I panicked. Then I unplugged the set for a few minutes and then re-started it. It's been working fine ever since(knock on wood). Maybe you should try this.

Jason Sweet

Stunt Coordinator
Larry, thank you very much for the info. That sounds alot more reasonable than $400+.

I use it for everything, especially a great deal of gaming. I have over 800 DVDs and have watched most of them on this set. I've definitely gotten my money's worth.

Thanks

Jason

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I have an LCD TV using such an expensive lamp (a Sony RPTV). It offers several "color temperature" settings, I chose the "low" or sepia tone over the "high" or bluish tone because I was told the lamp lasts longer that way and also I like it that way.
I purchased a replacement lamp through japan-direct.com who quoted me a price much lower than list. If your set or lamp is Japanese you might inquire of them about replacment lamps. I installed the new lamp immediately, saving the old one as the backup, so the warranty period could be exercised properly.
More turn-ons shorten the life of the lamp. I think the quoted lamp lifetime is based on continuous operation (24/7) of several lamps until half of them have burned out which means that a few may have failed long before. I would guess that if the TV is going to be used less than two hours later, it is better not to turn it off in the meantime. However your electric bill may suffer more than the savings on new lamp purchases. Also other family members if not you will go neurotic planning and deciding when to turn the TV off.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The bulbs are usually rated for 2000 hours.

I've seen replacement bulbs for Sony units run for $500 and for Runco DLP's that go for $1000.

It's usually the price of admission when you go this route.

Kind of like getting a porsche and complaining that the insurance on the car is too high every year.

So you have to shop around.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks