Laminate floor problem !!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by BryanW, Nov 14, 2004.

1. BryanW

BryanW Agent

I have a laminate floor and was damaged by water in a spot about 1 ft. by 6" it appears that the surface finnish polyurethane or what ever it is has flaked is there any fix for this ? [​IMG] Bryan

2. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

what kind of laminate? likw a vinyl, or are you talking a lamiate wood like floor like pergo?

I've been researching installing pergo lately and had run across something online about having to cut it out and replace that section. Do you happen to know if the floor is glued together or not?
    I think this is the article I saw it in, there's a blurb at the bottom
    http://www.bobvila.com/ArticleLibrar...oorBasics.html

3. BryanW

BryanW Agent

It is wood laminate and the edges are glued together it is a floating floor not attached to the subfloor. The edges have like a toung in groove that holds them together with the glue. I was hopeing it could be sanded and polyied. BryanW[​IMG]

4. GaryArt

GaryArt Auditioning

Don't know what type of laminate you have, but most have a wood particle core. When this core gets wet, it expands, the finish layer usually peels off. My bet is you'll have to replace the piece.
    If I remember right, cut out the middle with a circular saw, chisel the edges out carefully. Try to get the groove cleaned out from the old piece, cut the tongue off the new piece (better yet, plane it off). Use a crap load of glue on the joints with no T&G (some sawdust crammed in to helps).
    Alas, this is one draw back of the laminate floor, doesn't like water. Most newer floors are now snap n lock grooves (no glue), so you can virtually take the floor apart, replace the piece, then put it back together.
    There might be better ways to replace, I think IKEA has some directions on how to do it (this is what I think I read awhile ago).
    Good luck with it.

5. ClintS

ClintS Stunt Coordinator

I agree with GaryArt, laminate floors are just that a flooring made of laminated layers, there is nothing to sand down to like in a solid wood flooring. The "wood" layer is typically a thin printed layer. You need to find some replacement pieces and cut out/remove the bad section. On the laminate I installed it was a lift and lock, the instructions showed exactly what Gary was saying take a circular saw carefully set the depth of cut to just under the thickness of the flooring. Cut down joint and carefully remove. Cut the tounge off the new piece and glue it in. If this floor is in an area that will likely get wet in the future (kitchen/bathroom) you might consider replacing with a more moisture resistant flooring (tile, vinyl, etc.) We had a vinyl in our last kitchen that was "wood" strips, looked just like a laminate floor but was completely moisture resistant.

6. BryanW

BryanW Agent

The damage is in a non-traffic area and was done by a bottle of water that leaked. I think I still have some extra pieces left so unless someone comes up with a miracle fix I'll take the saw to it. Thanks for the help! BryanW