Laminate and paint questions, Seattle suppliers?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Michael Merrell, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Michael Merrell

Michael Merrell Stunt Coordinator

I'm about to start cutting the panels for a pair of Adire Kit 281 speakers. I made a circle jig for my router, and I've got my glue ready and my clamps lined up.

What am I waiting for?

I want the speakers to be black, front and back, with the front to be covered by a cloth speaker grill. The sides and top will be a wooder verneer of some sort.

My original plan was to laminate the front panels prior to cutting the circles, since I want to rabbet the driver holes, and I figure it would be difficult to trim the laminate if I put in on after cutting the holes.

My local home stores don't seem to care any black laminate or wood verneer. So, I have two choices: go mail-order, or find a local supplier.

Where can I find these materials in the Seattle area?

I can search through the archives for mail-order sources, but won't ignore any advice given in this thread on the subject. [​IMG]

The alternate on the front and backs is prime and paint black. Again, I can find threads on how-to, but I'm uncertain as to whether or not it looks good enough. Of course, this is the surface behind the grill and on the back of the speakers, so it doesn't have to be beautiful, just clean. It would also let me get to cuttin' since I could paint the panels after they are cut.

Thanks,

--Mike

2. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

You be the judge.
    Black 281's
    with grill cloth

It's just high gloss black paint. I've found that if you have exposed ends of cut MDF they need to be primed, otherwise they soak up the paint and the difference is very noticable. I adusted the measurements of the side, top and bottom panels so the front baffle sits back 3/8" to accomodate the grill. The frame for the grill was painted black before putting the cloth on. You could use stand-offs for the grill frame instead.

3. Michael Merrell

Michael Merrell Stunt Coordinator

Tim, the picture on your site are not showing up (getting the red X).

4. George W

George W Stunt Coordinator

Mike,

When I built my speakers I picked up some veneer locally at Edensaw woods in South Seattle. Here's the address:

3223 3rd Avenue South
    Seattle
    WA. 98134

and phone: (206) 587-0970

The veneer worked well for me and the man working (might have been the owner) when I walked in was very helpful.
    You can see some pictures of the (post application) cherry veneer I picked on my site http://students.washington.edu/gw2001/speaker1.htm
    Good luck!

George

5. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

I'm a victim of the AT&T/Comcast switch. I'll see if I can get that resolved.