Lame releases for summer blockbusters?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Brent M, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Brent M

Brent M Producer

It seems that all of the current or upcoming DVD releases of summer blockbuster films are lame in one area or the other. For example, Matrix Reloaded has a reference quality picture, but the sound is less than perfect and the bonus features suck. Early reviews of T3 say the picture and sound are good(not great) and the bonus features suck as much or more than those on Matrix Reloaded. 2 Fast 2 Furious and Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle, while not cinematic masterpieces, are the kind of flicks that should have top-notch audio and video, but they offer nothing spectacular in those departments. However, both of those DVDs do have better supplements than Matrix Reloaded or Terminator 3. Bad Boys II will not have a DTS track or an audio commentary and the bonus features don't look to be anything spectacular. The only summer release that looks to have a jam-packed DVD is X2: X-Men United. It has a ton of cool bonus materials, a DTS track and top notch picture quality. How come it's the only one getting a stellar DVD treatment and all these other releases are lame in one or more areas?

2. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

X2 is not the only summer blockbuster to get a good DVD release, what about Finding Nemo?

3. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I usually don't care much for supplements. Give me top quality audio and video and I am happy.

The Matrix Reloaded has "less than perfect" sound? I thought it was suppose to be reference quality?

4. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

I thought Matrix reloaded and 2f2f had excellent transfers and sound when i watched em

capt

5. Walt Riarson

Walt Riarson Supporting Actor

Don't forget about Freddy vs. Jason ($82 million and counting) though, which will have two commentary tracks. [​IMG]

6. Brent M

Brent M Producer

Matrix Reloaded has a reference quality picture, but not sound. While the track is way above average, there are several DVDs out there with better overall sound. As for 2 Fast 2 Furious, it looks and sounds very good, but not quite up to the standard set by the original Fast and the Furious. I think the extras for Matrix Reloaded and Terminator 3 are especially disappointing considering how much material there must be documenting the production of these films. Obviously, WB doesn't put much effort into special features because the stuff on these two releases is some of the lamest content I've ever seen(with the exception of the Freeway Chase feature on Matrix Reloaded). I didn't include Finding Nemo in my original post because I don't know anything about that release and I won't be buying it.

7. RickGr

RickGr Second Unit

Is the the first time Charlies Angels: Full Throttle and summer blockbuster have been used in the same sentance?

8. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

9. Brent M

Brent M Producer

I think the LFE is overblown in some scenes and not featured prominently enough in others. For example, in the opening scene when Trinity's motorcycle explodes there is hardly any bass, but when she and the agent are falling out the window the LFE is very, very deep as they pass by the screen. Also, I don't think the surrounds were as active in this mix as they could have been. It just seems like there is an inconsistency with this track that other "reference" audio DVDs don't suffer from. Also, this track seems to be recorded very low compared to most of the DVDs in my collection. The only other DVD I have to crank as loud as Reloaded is The Phantom Menace which is notorious for its' very low level. I'm sure that some of these problems will be corrected when the box set with all 3 Matrix films is released. A DTS-ES track would be sweet, but since this is WB that's probably not going to happen.[​IMG]

10. Aaryn Chan

Aaryn Chan Supporting Actor

If a DVD is 2 dics, why couldnt they make the first disc top notch quality? With DTS?

11. Clay-F

Clay-F Stunt Coordinator

I think they held back on the Matrix Reloaded dvd on purpose.

I imagine we'll see it in DTS next year in a box set. If they give it to us perfectly the first time, then theres little reason to upgrade. I personally, was really umimpressed by the audio on Reloaded. I expected more out of a movie that came close to hitting 300 million in the US alone.

12. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

Hmm, I guess I'm hearing things then. [​IMG] To my eyes and ears, The Matrix : Reloaded is a gorgeous release, for those who don't care about extras.

13. Jason Hennigan

Jason Hennigan Stunt Coordinator

Jason Hennigan
    I also was a little disappointed by the audio on The Matrix Reloaded.

By no means did I think that it was a bad track, I was just expecting much more from it.

14. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

15. Ben Rockwell

Ben Rockwell Agent

X2 was the only one that you listed (in my opinion) that was any good. Also, Pirates of the Caribbean should be getting a good release as well, and I think it's safe to say that movie is THE summer blockbuster of 2003. To me, PotC and X2 were the best summer films (that I can think of right now...I'm sure there were others in other people's minds), so I'm happy that both of these will get good releases.

16. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

In the Digital bits chat over at IGN a few weeks ago, they were talking about a double dip on all the Matrix films as not a possibility but an eventuality.

17. Craig: Mclaren

Craig: Mclaren Second Unit

Matrix-Reloaded, Charlies Angels: Full Throttle, 2 Fast 2 furious, t3 weren't great movies in the first place. I'd say the releases are fine considering that in 6 months we'll all have forgotten about them! Pirates of the caribbean is the one summer blockbuster that deserves a decent release IMHO. [​IMG]

18. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton

19. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

The quality of special features on a release is directly related to how much the people who are responsible for creating the materials give a damn and whether or not these people are supported by the studios in their efforts. That's why the FOTR:EE rules the roost. PJ and his folks give a damn. As for the MATRIX TRILOGY, the special edition of the first film was cancelled because the W. Brothers have said that they want to have a hand in creating a deluxe set of all of the films. Since people bitch when they see a bare bones disc, WB chose to have a separate disc of suck-ass supplements. Oh if only Criterion, Blue Underground, and Pixar had control over all disc releases. In a perfect world...

20. Nick T Robot

Nick T Robot Supporting Actor