Laid-back speakers ...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff.bart, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Jeff.bart

Jeff.bart Stunt Coordinator

In another post on the receiver section about Yamaha, one poster advised to get "laid-back" speakers to go with that brand. Just curious. What do people consider laid-back speakers, and how would they define it? Certain terms about speakers have meaning for me (bright, warm, soundstage) but others don't. Like laid-back and forward, to cite a few examples.

Granted, terminology to describe the character of music must necessarily be loose, but they do give us all some idea of what to expect.

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Forward is another word for bright to me. Laid-back would be warm.
    Forward would be like the female vocalist is standing closer to you and spitting her harsh highs so they ping in your ear.
    Laid-back is more mellow and the vocalist is standing further back so she doesn's sound "in your face". If I had to choose between I'd prefer laid-back. The soundstage sounds a bit more real cause it gives it more depth. Also the sound is more soothing to my ears.
    Of course I didn't make up these terms, these are just my interpretations so they could be different. [​IMG]

3. JordanS

JordanS Second Unit

I would consider my B&W's laid back. Smooth midrange, beautiful, soft sounding tweeter with great detail.......just really transparent.........true to the music.......i love the sound of B&W.......but its $$$ and i'm a college student.......[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

These terms can create a lot of confusion when they're used loosely, but they do have specific meanings which the audio press generally agrees upon.
    LAID-BACK: Recessed, distant-sounding, having exaggerated depth, usually because of a dished midrange. See "Row-M sound." Compare "forward."
    FORWARD: A quality of reproduction which seems to place sound sources closer than they were recorded. Usually the result of a humped midrange, plus a narrow horizontal dispersion pattern from the loudspeaker. See "Row-A sound." Compare "laid-back."
    The terms "bright" and "warm"/"dark" refer to a higher frequency band than the above terms.
    The Stereophile Audio Glossary

5. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Stunt Coordinator

Try Polks. They are rather mellow sounding. I have Boston Acoustics CR series. They use a fabric tweeter and while they arent necessary a laid back sounding speaker, they don't have the shrill ring of a metal tweeter when combined with a Yamaha reciever.

6. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Jason:

7. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

Vienna Acoustics Haydyn ($1000 per pair) are preety mellow and nice. Do you have a price range?

8. Phill O

Phill O Stunt Coordinator

NHT
    Just kidding. I think some of the older Phase Tech stuff
    had a "mellow" sound. I don't know about the new stuff.
    I hadn't listened to them yet. Home Theater Direct speakers
    have been reported to have a warmer sound as well.
    http://www.hometheaterdirect.com/
    http://www.phasetech.com/

9. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

The only way to "add space" and making a singer to appear far away instead of in front of you is echo, which we interpret as time. Of course, every recording and every home will be different, so I don't believe a speaker is always more "laid back"... unless... it is designed to do so. We know another words for this, such a speaker is clearly coloring the sound.
    I think, like others, that this is because a misunderstanding of terms, "laid back" is more or less a synonym of being "warm". But my personal opinion is that such speakers are just pathetically weak to represent the natural sound of real instruments.
    In other words, a "warm" speaker sounds like a warm speaker, not like real musicians in front of you. [​IMG] In other words, again we can say it is coloring the sound.

10. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

selecting a speaker based on these adjectives is impossible. sound is so hard to describe and people have such different backgrounds and are used to such different things that the only way to get any information about speakers at all is the listen for yourself for an extended period of time with a large array of material. the only other way that would have value imo is to get the advice of a really "accomplished" audiophile who has heard it all and can compare pretty much any speaker in relative terms to others. not many people have listened to enough speakers to really know what they're hearing and accurately judge qualitative characteristics.

of course you can get a general idea of what speakers to gravitate towards from forums, but general is all it will be.