What's new

L'age d'or - 11/23 from Kino on DVD (1 Viewer)

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I'm tempted to go ahead and purchase the BFI version, if only because of "Un chien andalou"... any reviews anywhere? I just want to make sure it's not a total dog of a transfer!

Brian PB

Supporting Actor

Yes, it is. The BFI's theatrical re-releases of the two films list the same running times as the DVD. One would expect, if they'd used a PAL master, that the running times on the DVD would be 4% shorter. But that begs the question: why would the BFI use NTSC masters (especially since Un chien andalou isn't being released in NTSC-land)?

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I would have purchased the BFI, but it is too expensive for me. I could buy a multi-movie box set or a Criterion and a half for what BFI is charging for this.

WillardK

Second Unit
and so... according to DonaldB's always useful calendar:

11/23
Un Chien Andalou (Luis Buñuel, 1928) MVD

all region and moderately priced

Seymour Uranowitz

Stunt Coordinator
Un Chien Andalou is up for pre-order at DeepDiscountDVD for $13.16.

My question is, will we ever see a R1 release of El Ángel Exterminador? Been waiting a long time for that one.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Here are the details for that MVD release of Un Chien Andalou:

Sounds very nice, but first time I've heard of this company and a Google search turned up no website for them.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
I'm still waiting to see reviews of both releases before purchasing them. I don't want bad transfers or conversions, as these titles are important (and expensive) for me.

Ike

Screenwriter
I too look forward to L'age D'or and am excited to hear Un Chien Anadalou is coming out! As soon as someone gets the disc, please post thoughts on the transfer.

Brian PB

Supporting Actor

MVD is only the distributor. The DVD is being produced by Transflux Films. This appears to be their first release. I get the impression that Luis Buñuel's son, Juan Luis, was involved with this DVD.

With regards to the BFI release, I am pleased with the picture quality, although there appears to be some cropping. The intros and commentary by Robert Short are highbrow and academic in the extreme. I didn't find them to be terribly insightful (and certainly not enjoyable)---but maybe it was just me. The packaging is quite beautiful, and the extensive booklet is well-produced (though it contains more thoughts by Robert Short, as well as the translated Surrealist Manifesto, which is as dense as the writings of Jean-Paul Sartre).

I love Un chien andalou (L'Age d'or a little less so), but I hope the Region 1 Transflux release is a bit less pedantic and off-putting than the BFI.

MichaelSloan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Sloan
I don't know its relation to L'Age D'or, but Carl Theodor Dreyer's Michael is also coming out on DVD from Kino on December 14.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
So, the history of the early Bunuel surrealist masterpieces on DVD is like nothing, nothing, still nothing, no word, maybe next year, possibly never... and now everyone including people we've never heard of are getting into the game!

I've waited this long, I guess I can wait until the reviews and comparisons are in. But it's soooo hard to wait. It's the hardest part, as someone once said.

I hope Gary Tooze and the Beaver are all over this! :)

WillardK

Second Unit
What a terrible disc this has turned out to be. The review DVD Beaver gives it is kind. Contrast is so blasted that details I remember from years ago are missing or muted. The top of the frame is severely chopped. The commentary is just ok, not even adequate and hardly essential. On the plus side the Bunuel Jr. interview extras are excellent.

Unless my disc is defective, there is an inexcusable glitch at 13:28 that lasts for about five frames. I can't tell whether it's digital or analog (according to DVD Beaver the transfer was made from tape), but it's most certainly not from film. If this is a problem burned from the master, Chien has to be the worst disc I've paid more than a few dollars for.

Ike

Screenwriter
On the flip side, I thought the L'age D'or disc was quite okay, and was glad to have the chance to see the film.

What is the alternative to the Facets Un Chien? Since I now have L'age D'or, I'd rather not pay $50 for a 17 minute film, which is what I'd be doing to get the BFI version.

WillardK

Second Unit
I believe those are the only choices on dvd. Curiously, most reviews I've read on the web seem to be pleased with the Facets disc, but I find the amount of cropping alone to be alarming and unacceptable. Facets should label this "The Guillotine Version." Get even an old VHS copy to compare it with and you're bound to notice the loss of detail. One of the reviews did also mention the horizontal glitch band (while still giving it a positive rating!).

I'm also on the fence about getting the BFI set, though one other advantage besides image quality is no doubt the Robert Short commentary. His track on L'age D'or is terrific (and it gets branched on the BFI version, no long silences). In fact, I've about pushed myself off the fence just typing this.

also:
If you don't already have Criterion's Discreet Charm package, the A Proposito documentary included with BFI's release is extremely worthwhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks