'Lagaan' DVD specs and release date by Columbia

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sanjay Gupta, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta Supporting Actor

Sanjay Gupta
    As per the announcement's page on davisdvd.com

Lagaan

List: $27.96

Street Date: 1/22/02

Features:

Anamorphic widescreen (1.85); English/Hindi DD 5.1

Extras:

Deleted scenes

Weblinks

Trailer

'Lagaan' like all (almost) Indian movies is shot in Cinemascope which is 2.35:1 So, what's with the incorrect aspect ratio of 1.85

Also as per another release announcement on another site the DVD features only Dolby Digital Stereo tracks for both Hindi and English. Why 'NO' 5.1 tracks?

If someone can please confirm the specifications and also the reason why they would use an incorrect aspect ratio and not have atleast the original Hindi track in 5.1

Sanjay

Member since 1997

2. Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta
    For those not familiar with the movie. 'Lagaan' is a Hindi (Indian) movie which is being seen by many in Hollywood as one of the front runners for an Academy Award in the Best Foreign Film category.

Synopsis:

Set in India after the rebellion of 1857 when the farmers paid a tax to the British for protection called the lagaan. It is a battle fought by unlikely heroes led by Bhuvan, a young farmer, helped by Elizabeth, an English girl and Gauri, the beautiful village girl who dreams only of a home with Bhuvan. Will a game of cricket stop three years of lagaan for the Indian people?

PS: Can anyone please confirm the specs of this DVD?

Sanjay

Member since 1997

3. Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta
    Looks like no one else is interested in this movie/DVD or atleast knows nothing about the specs. Anyhow I have found out more from the 'laseredge.com' site and for those that might be interested, here are what seem to be the final specs of the DVD.
    LAGAAN (Once Upon A Time In India)
    (2001, Columbia TriStar)
    List: $27.96
    Street Date: 1/22/02
    Cast:
    Aamir Khan, Gracy Singh, Rachel Shelley, Raghuvir Yadav, Raj Zutshi...
    Synopsis:
    Set in India after the rebellion of 1857 when the farmers paid a 'tax' to the British for protection called the 'Lagaan'. It is a battle without bloodshed, fought by a group of unlikely heroes. Led by Bhuvan, an enigmatic young farmer with courage born out of conviction and a dream. Elizabeth, the English girl who came to India and lost her heart to him. Bhuvan's pillar of strength, Gauri, the young and perky village girl who dreams only of a home with the man she loves. A story of extraordinary circumstances thrust upon ordinary people. Adversity faced with fortitude and injustice with dignity. There is slowly awakening pride, the grit and determination of a people who have everything to lose. Faith and courage come face to face with arrogance and ruthlessness. Will the human spirit triumph? Will a game of cricket stop three years of 'LAGAAN' for the famine stricken villagers?
    Features:
    Region 1
    Running Time: 225 minutes
    Video: 16X9 Enhanced Widescreen (2.35:1) Transfer
    Audio: Original Hindi & English Mix Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
    Subtitles: English, French, Spanish, Chinese, Thai, Portuguese & Korean
    Extras:
    Deleted scenes
    Weblinks
    Trailer
    Sanjay
    Member since 1997

4. Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta
    Just curious to know if anyone of the 100 odd members who read this post actually care or even have heard of this film.

Sanjay

Member since 1997

5. KrisK

KrisK Extra

Sanjay, I've seen it. A bit long, don't you think? but the songs were good. - Kris

6. Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta
    KrisK, I agree on the length being a bit long and some editing would help make the film better. Nevertheless, I still felt it was a good movie. It shows off the strength of the human spirit and how it can overcome great odds. Oh! yeah and the music was great too.

Sanjay

Member since 1997

7. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

I find Bollywood pictures to be all the same, but I'll check out Laagan cos it's being taken seriously by Columbia.

8. Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta
    Dharmesh,
    I hear you on Bollywood pictures all being the same and you can say that as far as having songs is concerned, that 'Lagaan' is also the same. But to do so, would be greatly unfair to this movie and the entire cast & crew that have strived to do something different for once. 'Lagaan' even with all it's Bollywood stars is most certainly not the usual Bollywood fare. Hey and since Columbia is releasing the DVD, for once we will get to watch a good Hindi DVD [​IMG]
    PS: If your interested in watching another "good & different" Bollywood movie, then check out 'Dil Chahta Hai' which also coincidently stars Amir Khan (with a great performance) in a totally different role to the one he plays in Lagaan.
    Sanjay
    Member since 1997

9. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

I'll be certainly be checking out this one!!!

The only other Bollywood film I like is Kurbani(sp)? (1970s)

10. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

I will buy

11. rajiv

rajiv Stunt Coordinator

Sanjay,
    The site to visit about Indian DVDs is Zulm
    They have more of the details and a discussion forum.
    Good Luck,
    Rajiv...

12. Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta
    Thanks for the link, Rajiv.

Sanjay

Member since 1997

13. Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta
    Academy Award Nominations:
    Lagaan - Best Foreign Film
    Due to the great response to the DVD released earlier and also due to the Oscar Nomination, there is word that Columbia will be re-releasing the film in the mainstream US theaters and then later will release a 2 Disc special edition of the film.
    By the way Ken, Asoka has been released on DVD in Region 2 (PAL) by Metrodome. The quality of the DVD is excellent both in terms of Audio and Video. Infact the video quality is even better than the Columbia Lagaan DVD.
    Another good news is that Columbia will be releasing 'Mission Kashmir' under a newly launched label. The label will cater to Avante Garde, Anime, Foreign Language, Other Special Interest films.
    Sanjay
    Member Since 1997

14. Michael Dehaven

Michael Dehaven Stunt Coordinator

Sanjay Gupta

I hope this is true. I have the dvd and it desperately needs to be spread across two discs. I am also hoping that many of the scratches and dirt will be cleaned from the original elements. I found Lagaan to be very much like a disney film. Where a Small group of ragtag peasants fights the evil empire. It feels like an early hollywood film where all the women, especially the most beautiful, are after the handsome hero.The music and dancing are the highlights for me as the hero and villain are really predictable in everyway and quite one dimensional. And man how tall is Amir Khan? I'd love to have a better technical version of this film.

15. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I rented Lagaan, along with four other titles last week but didn't realize it was such a long movie and never found the time to screen it! :b I'm going to rent it again though - it's only .99 at my local Hollywood Video... [​IMG]

16. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

Good movie -- a B+. Columbia should've put it on 2 dual-layer discs. The movie is better than most Indian fare. I love AR Rahman's songs, but his work in "Dil Se" remains my favorite (even though the movie was sub-par).

17. Talal

Talal Stunt Coordinator

I think Lagaan is perfection when it comes to film.

There is absolutely no need for editing at all. The scenes play out perfectly, at the perfect pace. Amazing camerawork, cinematography, score (thanks to a.r. rahman), and acting.

it also features on of the best voice over narrations courtesy of amitabh bachan. listen to the part after the "written and directed by" credit, the way he sighs the words "suki ankhen, asmaan ko tatolrahi hain"(parched eyes search the skies). simply astounding.

18. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I so want to see this. But, at a runtime of nearly 4 hours, I have to carve out time. Me thinks sometime this weekend is going to be the trick.

Bruce

19. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

it doesn't seem long when you watch it.

for cricket fans, it's a ripper!

AR Rahman's co-score to EARTH is way better and Lagaan sounds like leftover.

MGM 2 better shake some booty and release it pronto!

20. Ellen

Ellen Stunt Coordinator

Ellen
    I had never heard of Lagaan until last weekend while watching AVS on one of the local cable channels. I rented the DVD this weekend. Even though it was quite predictable, I found the movie to be extremely enjoyable (but I still don't understand the game of cricket). I did not find it to be too long. And the musical numbers were very engaging too; I find myself humming the Radha Kaise Na Jale song as I type this. I just might have to add this one to my collection.