Ladyhawke DVD / Michelle Pfeiffer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Osato, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Osato

Osato Producer

Just recently watched Tequila Sunrise with Kurt Russell, Mel Gibson, and Michelle Pfeiffer.

I have heard that Ladyhawke was a great film, but am curious how the DVD looks and sounds before I pick it up. How is the picture and sound? Warner Bros doesn't seem to try on some films released to dvd.

Any other Michelle Pfeiffer recommendations? I haven't seen many of her films, but think she's great. I really enjoyed her performance in What Lies Beneath.

2. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

I like the movie (with Rutger Hauer and a young Mathew Boderick), haven't seen the DVD, the DVD's been on perpetual sale (under $10).

3. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

The DVD is rather poor and cries out for a re-master - the non-anamorphic widescreen side is rather bland and the P&S side has picture jitter that makes it unwatchable. (Sorry to admit I even looked at that side [​IMG] )

4. Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Second Unit

If you haven't seen LadyHawk, then by all means pick it up or at least rent it. It is an excellent film. The DVD is better than VHS, and it is out. And it has a really hot Michelle in it. No Michelle fan should be without this movie.

5. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

DVD picture (4x3 lbx) and sound are horrible. But a great movie. What can you do? It's still better than LD (no side-change) except for the lack of PCM audio.

-dave

6. Marty Lockstead

Marty Lockstead Second Unit

The picture quality isn't very good, but I thought the dolby 5.1 wasn't bad for a 1985 film. Michelle always looks great, but, call me old-fashioned, I didn't much care for her shorter hair in this particular movie. Nor, did I much care for a rather contemporary sounding score which is supposed to take place way back when. Minor points, and I would still pick up a remastered version with commentary by Richard Donner if possible.

7. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

8. Marty Lockstead

Marty Lockstead Second Unit

You wanna see an exceptionally hot-looking Michelle? Check out WOLF, TEQUILA SUNRISE and BATMAN RETURNS IMO[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Greg Havard

Greg Havard Auditioning

While I agree with the comments about liking Michelle better with long hair, I also have to say that one of my all-time favorite Michelle Pfeiffer movies is "Into The Night", a title that is not available on DVD.....and she has short hair in it (and a brief nude scene).

10. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

11. Chauncey_G

Chauncey_G Second Unit

I actually enjoyed the score. It was a little over the top, I'll grant you that. When people were complaining that a medeival/renaissance based film shouldn't have a contemporary score, I couldn't help thinking that applying that same logic would mean that every sci-fi film had to have a "futuristic" score (So long Star Wars fanfare!).

12. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

After I last posted here I remembered I never checked ebay for the CD. I found it, bid on it and won it. I recieved it in the mail today. It was brand new and never opened.

13. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Oh geez, Ladyhawke was a very good movie and I thought the score was fine. If you want over the top, check out The Knight's Tale. Talk about relatively current (if you consider 70's classic rock current) scores.

Same goes with Moulin Rouge as I understand. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

Bob

14. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    Ladyhawke was releaed 17 years ago this week.

That scares me.

Mike

15. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

Love the movie but never cared for the soundtrack..... a williams, Goldsmith or Zimmer score would have been far better in my opinion.

Also have to agree that the DVD is a fairly poor presentation. Can only hope that maybe someday this one will get revisited with an SE.

16. Robert Holloway

Robert Holloway Stunt Coordinator

I watched this film recently. First time in 10+ years.

To be honest, the score was awful and I liked APP.

Rob

17. jimmy_mcm

jimmy_mcm Auditioning

I also have to agree that this needs to be remastered and released as a SE.

18. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

I'm one of the lucky few who love the movie and think the score is perfect for it.
    This film really needs a supa-dupa special edition! [​IMG]
    LD owners: were any SE LD's brought out for Ladyhawke? If so, what were the extras? I have the PAL LD (two in fact, in case one got rot!), which is movie+trailer only.

19. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

I saw Ladyhawk the other night for the first time ever, and I thought it was okay. The music, however, was terribly inappropriate! What were they thinking?! Goldsmith's Planet of the Apes and Hoosiers are avant-garde and brilliant, while Ladyhawk is just plain bad!

20. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

The recent Warner Laserdisc is 3rd side CAV, starting, I think, just before the Bishop goes to the cathedral for the confessional mass.
    I strongly suspect that the DVD transfer uses the same LD master, albiet with split-surround audio for the DVD. (LD was 2trk only.)
    When I first saw the movie (sheesh - back in 6th or 7th grade) I thought the music... jarring. Since then, it has grown on me, and find that it's as much a part of the film as the rather excessive use of gradient color filtering was in the exterior photography.
    I do remember seeing, I think on the CD's liner notes, a comment regarding the use of a 'modern' or quasi-rock score in a fantasy film. The comment went along that people protested the use of Parson's Project over a straight Korngold-style score didn't seem to consider that the 50-70 year difference between Korngold and Parson's Project really didn't matter when you consider that the film was based in what, early 15th century? (Quote from the film: "since the plague, there've been more wolves than men.")
    Leo Kerr
    [email protected]